Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Sachs Huret rear mech...

...you would need an electron microscope to see the point of optimum adjustment between not being able to get into the lowest gear and it throwing the chain straight into the spokes: rubbish :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Worst component and yet possibly my favourite design - because I can't get them to work properly has to be Shimano 600 AX aero calipers. Never been as hacked off with something that should be so simple!! Not Shimano's fault, simply my own ineptitude!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:04 am 
Retro Guru

531 pro wrote:
Sachs Huret rear mech...

...you would need an electron microscope to see the point of optimum adjustment between not being able to get into the lowest gear and it throwing the chain straight into the spokes: rubbish :lol:

That's the one previously branded as the Huret Eco? I was going to defend it, but then I remembered how many times I had to straighten or replace mine after they had been collected by the spokes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm 
Retro Guru

bigpantswheels wrote:
Bio pace chainrings, I can still feel myself bouncing.

on the contrary I liked them and continued to use them on a a modern bike riight up until I had none left. It was unfortunate it was impossible to have one less than 42T unless you went to 110BCD and MTB gear. I just seemed able to roll a bigger gear through climbs on them .. the placebo effect maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
Retro Guru

My legs, they're utterly useless after about 5 minutes riding especially uphill. Only just beat my asthmatic lungs in second place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

pigman wrote:
bigpantswheels wrote:

on the contrary I liked them and continued to use them on a a modern bike riight up until I had none left. It was unfortunate it was impossible to have one less than 42T unless you went to 110BCD and MTB gear. I just seemed able to roll a bigger gear through climbs on them .. the placebo effect maybe?

I've got some for sale if you're interested?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:52 pm 
Retro Guru

BobToo wrote:
531 pro wrote:
Sachs Huret rear mech...

That's the one previously branded as the Huret Eco? I was going to defend it, but then I remembered how many times I had to straighten or replace mine after they had been collected by the spokes.

:lol:

Are these the pressed steel ones? The times it went in the spokes, then I bent it back again with mole grips, then back in the spokes, then bent back again with mole grips.....happy days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 pm 
Retro Guru

That's the one, even the one pictured on Velobase looks a bit bent. :D

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 8&Enum=108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Old Ned wrote:
pigman wrote:
bigpantswheels wrote:

I've got some for sale if you're interested?

Always had a soft spot for Biopace but I suspect the pain I now experience in my right knee after 30 mins in the saddle is caused by these ovoid bastards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 am 
Retro Guru

Always had a soft spot for Biopace but I suspect the pain I now experience in my right knee after 30 mins in the saddle is caused by these ovoid bastards

that might mean they worked ! maybe you were able to push a gear that was otherwise too big ? I gotta admit i switched all mine out and tried to be smooth

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next