Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:58 pm
Posts: 162
Location: Scotland
Sachs Huret rear mech...

...you would need an electron microscope to see the point of optimum adjustment between not being able to get into the lowest gear and it throwing the chain straight into the spokes: rubbish :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 pm
Posts: 1568
Location: NOTTINGHAM
Worst component and yet possibly my favourite design - because I can't get them to work properly has to be Shimano 600 AX aero calipers. Never been as hacked off with something that should be so simple!! Not Shimano's fault, simply my own ineptitude!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:04 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 am
Posts: 300
Location: Fife
531 pro wrote:
Sachs Huret rear mech...

...you would need an electron microscope to see the point of optimum adjustment between not being able to get into the lowest gear and it throwing the chain straight into the spokes: rubbish :lol:


That's the one previously branded as the Huret Eco? I was going to defend it, but then I remembered how many times I had to straighten or replace mine after they had been collected by the spokes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Sheffield, top city
bigpantswheels wrote:
Bio pace chainrings, I can still feel myself bouncing.

on the contrary I liked them and continued to use them on a a modern bike riight up until I had none left. It was unfortunate it was impossible to have one less than 42T unless you went to 110BCD and MTB gear. I just seemed able to roll a bigger gear through climbs on them .. the placebo effect maybe?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 10:41 am
Posts: 638
My legs, they're utterly useless after about 5 minutes riding especially uphill. Only just beat my asthmatic lungs in second place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5132
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
pigman wrote:
bigpantswheels wrote:
Bio pace chainrings, I can still feel myself bouncing.

on the contrary I liked them and continued to use them on a a modern bike riight up until I had none left. It was unfortunate it was impossible to have one less than 42T unless you went to 110BCD and MTB gear. I just seemed able to roll a bigger gear through climbs on them .. the placebo effect maybe?


I've got some for sale if you're interested?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:52 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 pm
Posts: 1787
Location: It's not easy being a dolphin.
BobToo wrote:
531 pro wrote:
Sachs Huret rear mech...

...you would need an electron microscope to see the point of optimum adjustment between not being able to get into the lowest gear and it throwing the chain straight into the spokes: rubbish :lol:


That's the one previously branded as the Huret Eco? I was going to defend it, but then I remembered how many times I had to straighten or replace mine after they had been collected by the spokes.


:lol:

Are these the pressed steel ones? The times it went in the spokes, then I bent it back again with mole grips, then back in the spokes, then bent back again with mole grips.....happy days.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 am
Posts: 300
Location: Fife
That's the one, even the one pictured on Velobase looks a bit bent. :D

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 8&Enum=108


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 pm
Posts: 1443
Location: Vienna, Austria
Old Ned wrote:
pigman wrote:
bigpantswheels wrote:
Bio pace chainrings, I can still feel myself bouncing.

on the contrary I liked them and continued to use them on a a modern bike riight up until I had none left. It was unfortunate it was impossible to have one less than 42T unless you went to 110BCD and MTB gear. I just seemed able to roll a bigger gear through climbs on them .. the placebo effect maybe?


I've got some for sale if you're interested?


Always had a soft spot for Biopace but I suspect the pain I now experience in my right knee after 30 mins in the saddle is caused by these ovoid bastards


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:12 am
Posts: 1513
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Always had a soft spot for Biopace but I suspect the pain I now experience in my right knee after 30 mins in the saddle is caused by these ovoid bastards

that might mean they worked ! maybe you were able to push a gear that was otherwise too big ? I gotta admit i switched all mine out and tried to be smooth


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: keithglos, Midlife and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group