Side pull brakes for touring bike?

SantaHul

Retro Guru
Hi guys I've recently acquired a 1984 CB Dalesman that's had a load of racing gear stuck on it. I'm in the process of swapping any necessary bits to switch it back to touring duty but my lovely new 45mm stainless steel mudguards won't fit under the Tektro r536 side pulls that are currently fitted.

Can anybody suggest some side pulls that would fit and are cheap? I've been looking at Weinmann 730's but I'd prefer something a bit more modern. Can't seem to find any data anywhere so if you guys could tell me what you've got on yours or any that you know would fit I'd be very interested. I think Tektro r556 brakes would also fit but can't find any second hand ones.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Centrepull brakes for a touring bike -Yes, Weinmanns.

At risk of stating the obvious, Weinmann"Vainqueur"centrepulls, CTC reviews (by the technical officer) still regard these classic brakes as amongst the best for a tourer - still.

People are snooty about them but they're very good - remember the pros BITD used to race with these.

They're cheap too.

You'll need 750s or 610s depending on clearance.

Roadking.

I have a set of those very same brakes. Also a set of gold winemans. How much drop do you have as Dia coompe make new centre pulls with 60-73mm drop or something like that with a nutted fitting. Tektro R369 are very long drop brakes (57-73mm) with good clearance. I have a set on my tourer with 45mm mudguards and have good clearance. These brakes are nutted too. I keep stock of these brakes.

Those Weinamn centre pulls are very good.

The drop is about 50-55mm. I've just ordered some Tektro r359's which will hopefully be about right. £25 for a brand new pair so can't complain.

Latest posts

Back