Repairing an Old Canti Boss

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hey,

I'm restoring a post-war bike with cantilever brakes. One of the canti bosses was broken and
has been cut down, as you can see in the attached picture. Also, I think the bosses are not
straight/parallel. I took a few pictures of this, but it's not easy to see in pictures.

Can anyone advise on what to do? So far, my options seem to be:

1) Drill/tap a hole in what's left of the boss and use a bolt to fix on the canti - this seems to be
how the 'Problem Solvers' canti repair kit works. This doesn't solve the problem of the
bosses not quite being straight, though.

2) Have new canti bosses brazed on. The only problem is that the diameter of the existing
stud is about 1mm bigger than a normal canti stud - could I use a shim of some sort to fix this?
It seems Bob Jackson charges about £15 for brazing a canti boss on, so it doesn't seem to be
took expensive.

I would like to rescue the fork and keep the cantis if at all possible since they are both original to the
bike and quite distinctive and interesting.

Thanks for any advice.

Johnny

Attachments

• JRCFork.jpg
    JRCFork.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 293
Assume the broken part is a threaded part of the boss itself? i.e. this is a 'stud' with a domed nut rather than a bolt with a domed head? Could you not drill/tap, manufacture a stud, and then get a framebuilder to rebraze the bosses on straight? Possibly getting the new stud brazed to the boss at the same time.

Yes, the brake arm is held onto the boss by a nut that fits a threaded bolt that's part of the boss.
So your solution seems much better than mine - I presume I would need to braze a
piece of steel rod into the broken boss then cut a thread onto it with a die.

Cheers for the help!

Johnny

My first thoght was to drill the boss and tap the resulting hole, which is probably not necessary..you may find an old bolt or stud with the right thread that will do the job... If you can you won't need a die. Just drill an accurate hole in the boss into which you can braze the stud. I'm no authority..just thought someone should answer your post!

Yes, I was wondering if a threaded bolt might be stronger than just brazing a rod in.
In any case, I've been in contact with a frame builder here in Belgium who'll have a look and
see what he thinks.

Johnny

Back