A trip down memory lane . 1960 Pennine

ozboz

Dirt Disciple
Hiya, I was having a google today, I put the word Pennine Cycle in, and there it was, an old paper advert of the bike my dad bought for my brother in 1960, we moved from Wyhthenshawe to Sale, the buses wernt great so he got one of these, I was it handed down to me about 3 years later, it was a bit big , but it was a bike ! I swapped it about 2 years later, it needed a lot of repairs and theres no way the Ol fellah would pay so I got a bugle and a moped without an engine...... !! top deal !!...... anyway Ill never forget that bike, metalic yellow , rode it for miles, the rear d/lr went bump, so shortened the chain and put it on the 3 cog at the back, it had a slight buckle n the back wheel , must have been funny watchng me ride it ! but hey ! it was a bike !.
Now the surprise, on the web site there is a shop in Bradford, they still make em !! ........I had a chat with them to day, start around 650 going to 2000, I was led to believe no bikes were made here any more, im going to Yorkshire on Sat t pick up a GT i h/t , so Im going to visit the shop if I can , anyway heres a pic, maybe some of you old timers like me may remeber them !! or maybe youve got one !!

Attachments

• PenRichL.jpg
    PenRichL.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 192
This is the one I had, the frame dating from 1958 I believe. Sold it recently and it is now in Japan!

Plenty of bikes still being made in the UK, from steel, titanium etc. Carbon is a far eastern aberation. I can think of half-a-dozen builders in Yorkshire alone.

Attachments

• 58 Pennine May 2012.1.A.jpg
    58 Pennine May 2012.1.A.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 147
Its a beaut !! Very similar that may have been the Maryln frame, named that apparenly because it was easy to strip !! I had no idea there were still bikes made over here, i will check em all out see if they can build me a MBT bike , cheers for info mate Steve

Back