Freewheel for 1988 Peugeot Racer to replace 14-24

revs

Retro Newbie
I've got a 1988 Peugeot Racer

It's a nice bike, but I've always found that it never has a low enough gear for long steep hills.

Looking at a copy of the original brochure, this bike has a 14-24 freewheel and a 42,52 crankset.

Which should I change to make things a little easier, the freewheel or crankset. How much difference would each make? E.g. Is a 28 on the back much different to 24? I think ive spotted a 14-32 or 13-32? I've seen the 34 mega gears, but that seems silly - I'm not that unfit!

If you can't imagine what a difference changing ratio's makes then a calculator won't help either. It will make an big difference though going from 24 to 28T but the step between gears will be bigger. Given how cheap a freewheel and chain are why not try it and see. The worst that can happen is you are £20 poorer and you decide you don't like it.

Calculator are no substitute for trying something.

bm0p700f":32hucrud said:
If you can't imagine what a difference changing ratio's makes then a calculator won't help either. It will make an big difference though going from 24 to 28T but the step between gears will be bigger. Given how cheap a freewheel and chain are why not try it and see. The worst that can happen is you are £20 poorer and you decide you don't like it.

Calculator are no substitute for trying something.

Wise words IMO. The change from 24 to 28 bottom gear drops your ratio by 16-17% which is quite a lot. I'd get the 14-28 and a new chain and try it out!

If you go for a new freewheel you need to check the maximum capacity of your rear derailleur otherwise it may not work.

If you go the freewheel route there are these rather nice if pricey freewheels with up to 32T.

Alternatively a compact 34/50 chainset might be a better option for around the same money or more which won't wear out as fast. depends how authentic you want your retro build to be :D

Thanks guys.

I've seen a Sunrace 13-28 that I might go for. It's a 7 speed, but from what I've read this will fit on my 6 speed hub.

I gave up on being authentic with the bike - it's started as a cheap bike, but I ended up spending quite a bit. It's at the point where if I spend too much I might as well go and buy a new bike :)

revs":2t8etu31 said:
Thanks guys.

I've seen a Sunrace 13-28 that I might go for. It's a 7 speed, but from what I've read this will fit on my 6 speed hub.

I gave up on being authentic with the bike - it's started as a cheap bike, but I ended up spending quite a bit. It's at the point where if I spend too much I might as well go and buy a new bike :)

Don't count on it fitting. I have a Shimano 7 speed freewheel that is a lot wider than a 6. To get it to clear the frame would mean adding spacers to the axle. It uses 5mm cog spacing as opposed to "compact" or "ultra" spacing.
Mark.

revs":3jy75lxe said:
Thanks guys.

which will be nothing like the Peugeot, but I get your point! ;)

I agree, I'd stick with 6 speed, should only be about £8-9 for a 14-28

Thanks for the advice. As suggested i bought a cheap 6 speed Shimano.

As much as i'd love to buy expensive components for the bike, its meant as something fun and cheap for me to mess about with. Although I do keep an eye on ebay for a set of 105s :D

Thanks all.

Back