Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:41 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 961
Location: Brussels
Whilst admiring this fantastic photo linked to another thread:

Image

I wondered when Campagnolo aero-style brake levers started to become available? The first ones I remember being available to the public were the C-Record style in the late 80s, like these ones at the top (courtesy Velobase):

Image

but they were the much larger-bodied style lever. At the same time, the Victory and Triomphe models from the same period were non-aero.

So, to what extent were the traditional-shaped lever available in aero-style, as used by the Badger above? I'm not so sure about Moser, his levers look like they could be Modolo or similar. But Hinault certainly used aero-style Super Record levers in the 80s - were they all modified by the mechanics, or what?

Cheers,
Gareth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:09 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 422
Location: at my computer
The levers seen on Hinault's bike are modified levers. The first production Campagnolo levers only came later. The fiddled levers like the ones that Hinault used did not work terribly well but they look super-cool. These are the ones on my bike. The bars are drilled, with the cable being threaded through them.


Attachments:
Front view brake lever.JPG
Front view brake lever.JPG [ 224.27 KiB | Viewed 2780 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5131
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
I converted my pair of Campag levers in the early 80's after seeing Dave Hinde using some. All I did was drill down through the main body of the lever towards the bars with a small drill and then partly open the hole up from the outside with a larger drill to fit the outer cable. They worked OK. Laurent Fignon used some converted ones in the Tour in '82 I think. Look at some of his period photos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:12 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Herts/Essex border
I was asking myself the same question only the other day when flicking through a book of colour pictures of the T de F. Both aero brake cables and cleat systems seem to have come in about the same time.

1983 Fignon and two others are all non-aero and clips and straps.
1984 and a group are all using clips and straps. Fignon seems to have gone aero but all the rest, including Hinault, Robert Millar, Lemond, Delgado, are still non-aero.
1985 Hinault still non-aero but has gone to a cleat system. Also using my favourite saddle, still widely sold today, Selle San Marco Rolls with the gold badge on the back.
1986 Lemond aero and cleated.

Not all riders embraced aero cables and cleats at the same time. Into the late 80s some riders are still using the old stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 2075
Location: Warks
Citoyen du monde wrote:
The levers seen on Hinault's bike are modified levers. The first production Campagnolo levers only came later. The fiddled levers like the ones that Hinault used did not work terribly well but they look super-cool. These are the ones on my bike. The bars are drilled, with the cable being threaded through them.


My gals Colnago had campag levers with cable running through a hole in the bars, I can't see a cutout if I were to run the cable on top of the bars? I removed the levers and fitted SLR shimano as she has small hands, but it would be nice to use the levers on another build...

OT. PS at last someone shares my taste in bar tape!


Attachments:
pina more details3.jpg
pina more details3.jpg [ 186.39 KiB | Viewed 2735 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1032
Location: West Yorkshire
Old Ned wrote:
I converted my pair of Campag levers in the early 80's after seeing Dave Hinde using some. All I did was drill down through the main body of the lever towards the bars with a small drill and then partly open the hole up from the outside with a larger drill to fit the outer cable. They worked OK. Laurent Fignon used some converted ones in the Tour in '82 I think. Look at some of his period photos.


I wasn't brave enough to try this on my Campag levers but I did do it on my cheaper Gipiemme ones. They were fine for 1000s of miles and seemed to work just as well but eventually they cracked right through. They were made of plastic....:oops:

Mark.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:07 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 2075
Location: Warks
daccordimark wrote:
Old Ned wrote:
I converted my pair of Campag levers in the early 80's after seeing Dave Hinde using some. All I did was drill down through the main body of the lever towards the bars with a small drill and then partly open the hole up from the outside with a larger drill to fit the outer cable. They worked OK. Laurent Fignon used some converted ones in the Tour in '82 I think. Look at some of his period photos.


I wasn't brave enough to try this on my Campag levers but I did do it on my cheaper Gipiemme ones. They were fine for 1000s of miles and seemed to work just as well but eventually they cracked right through. They were made of plastic....:oops:

Mark.


ooooops indeed :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gazelleer, larrytx01, mr_gumby and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group