Which are the best retro brakes?

Pierre

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm not sure if this has been asked before - a quick search brought up a lot of mountain bike but few road bike threads... Which, in your opinions, are the nicest road bike brakes? Obviously Campagnolo Delta often get a mention, but they're heavy and functionally a bit weak. One of my customers has a pair of Monoplanars on his Cougar which are quite pretty. Does anything work as well as modern dual-pivot brakes?

The simple answer is "no" as the dual pivot has a better mechanical advantage than single pivot, centre pull, Delta and AX......

Also depends on the levers as well so the simple answer not so simple LOL

Shaun

My Shimano 600's (I have two sets, one 'just 600's', the other Arabesque) work great for me. I have a 2011 Cannondale CAAD 8 with their own C4 brakes. They are better, but not to a degree that causes me to have any worries about the 600's.

Hard to avoid answering this without mentioning Shimano 600AX - there is an associated debate about performance but they look great (better than Deltas - IMHO).

And, if anyone happens to have a spare set of hoods for these - please pm me!!!! (yet again i slip that need in!!)

I recently bought a set of DA 7400 brakes and they are lovely too - but in a different way.

of course you can improve older single pivots no end by swapping out the now ancient brake blocks for some new hi-tech rubber
worked for me

Out of all the older Campagnolo brakes I find the Chorus Monolaners to be the prettiest and functionally not bad at all. Howver unlike many other Campagnolo calipers they look very odd on a non-Chorus equipped bike. Failing that the later Campagnolo dual-pivot units are superb, I use them on all my riders.

That's what I was wondering - I've got Record skeletons on the best road bike and they're fantastic. And, of course, good brake blocks improve most brakes. Just wondering, after finding out about exotic and unusual brakes on the mountain bike side of the forum, if there have been similarly weird and wonderful creations for road bikes. Those Shimano 600AX definitely look 'quirky'!

Pierre":17yzrita said:
That's what I was wondering - I've got Record skeletons on the best road bike and they're fantastic. And, of course, good brake blocks improve most brakes. Just wondering, after finding out about exotic and unusual brakes on the mountain bike side of the forum, if there have been similarly weird and wonderful creations for road bikes. Those Shimano 600AX definitely look 'quirky'!

By 'quirky' I assume you mean 'fantastic'!

I want a pair BTW! ;)

I have to agree with Captain Vimes - fantastic is as good an adjective as you could get!!!!

No one with spare hoods? :roll:

Back