Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 343
How times have changed. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 pm
Posts: 1443
Location: Vienna, Austria
Robbied196 wrote:
American Friend wrote:
Super Record was the groupset everyone lusted after, and on a Colnago it would have to be engraved. Personally, I think any Colnago with Zeus parts just looks wrong, but it's all completely subjective.


It has to have Campagnolo hubs. In fact, I think its the law :)


it's funny, desperately trying not to follow trends, I do look at this frame and decide on certain parts and for some reason it was an obvious choice to go SR/Cinelli etc. It makes life very easy to the point where the colour of the bar tape becomes the only real difficult 'choice', despite the above hub/rim quandary of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 343
The ultimate kit for virtually every good Italian road bike from the late 1960s until the late 1980s was Record. Until Record C. If you really want to be different or original, you have look elsewhere, either outside Italy or outside that period.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 pm
Posts: 95
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Red labels are good up to the very late 80s.

Colnagos would generally have been supplied with Ambrosio rims. The best of these being Metamorphosis, but Montreal, Nemesis are aslo well rated. I think there even some Colnago branded rims available on ebay right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: Staffordshire
That bike would look good with more or less any rim. It's that good. As long as they aren't deep section. I have some rims I'll get built up some day. They came on a 1980 Alan. I think they're called Olympic Montreals. They are a tub rim.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: wheels
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 2075
Location: Warks
My Nag has record hubs and Mavic MA50 rims from new...I think they were designed for cyclocross and pretty indestructible...the dark anodising is a bit corroded but not a chance of finding another pair of rims the same...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N ... 6653998662


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 343
The old red label Mavic GP4s are slightly wrong for two reasons.
While you could find them in shops in the mid-1980s, they were well past their sell-by date by then and had been replaced by Mavic. The retro-looking label of the old GP4s (like the decals of some other older tubular rims) also just looks better on unmistakably older frames.
And that's the problem with dating this frame. It could be from the mid-1980s, but you could still find new Colnago frames like this well into the 1990s, long after the straight blade Precisa forks appeared.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wheels
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 pm
Posts: 1443
Location: Vienna, Austria
bikenut2010 wrote:
My Nag has record hubs and Mavic MA50 rims from new...I think they were designed for cyclocross and pretty indestructible...the dark anodising is a bit corroded but not a chance of finding another pair of rims the same...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N ... 6653998662


Now that looks superb though if I were honest I think the C-Record era groupset doesn't look quite right on an 80's frame but that's picking hairs.

I'm warming towards the older label rims for other reasons than the decal, they do seem a nicer shape in-keeping with the SR curves. The newer GP4's just seem a bit too late for the build.

Many thanks for the input people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wheels
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 2075
Location: Warks
agentorange wrote:
bikenut2010 wrote:
My Nag has record hubs and Mavic MA50 rims from new...I think they were designed for cyclocross and pretty indestructible...the dark anodising is a bit corroded but not a chance of finding another pair of rims the same...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N ... 6653998662


Now that looks superb though if I were honest I think the C-Record era groupset doesn't look quite right on an 80's frame but that's picking hairs.

I'm warming towards the older label rims for other reasons than the decal, they do seem a nicer shape in-keeping with the SR curves. The newer GP4's just seem a bit too late for the build.

Many thanks for the input people.


C Record delta group available in 1986 :)
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 7&AbsPos=4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wheels
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:44 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 pm
Posts: 1443
Location: Vienna, Austria
bikenut2010 wrote:
agentorange wrote:
bikenut2010 wrote:
My Nag has record hubs and Mavic MA50 rims from new...I think they were designed for cyclocross and pretty indestructible...the dark anodising is a bit corroded but not a chance of finding another pair of rims the same...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N ... 6653998662


Now that looks superb though if I were honest I think the C-Record era groupset doesn't look quite right on an 80's frame but that's picking hairs.

I'm warming towards the older label rims for other reasons than the decal, they do seem a nicer shape in-keeping with the SR curves. The newer GP4's just seem a bit too late for the build.

Many thanks for the input people.


C Record delta group available in 1986 :)
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 7&AbsPos=4


Now, that's interesting, I always associate this era with the 90's. Clearly stand corrected to the point where I'm now thinking C-Record for my Mexico build.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Apple Tree, keithglos, Montello, NWGuy99, Old Ned and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group