1970's MKM restoration - nearly finished :)

IanSmalley

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
MKM Dominator (I think)

Just pick it up from my neighbour, it does need a respray.
Comes with campag headset and dropouts.
The seat post is seized, wd40 applied and will have go tomorrow.
On the mkm cycles website it has a list of know frame numbers but mine has letters as well numbers? It is TR DN 173 RZ as far as I can tell. If this is 173 it is from 1972 and first year of production.

UPDATE 1974

Attachments

• MKM Dominator 003small.jpg
    MKM Dominator 003small.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 707
  • mkm Finished 003.JPG
    mkm Finished 003.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 356
I've sent a link to this to the MKM website owner. Hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on it for you.

Thanks Ned, I have had an email from Robin and that number is a part number for the bottom bracket and I have found the fram number 1260 which dates it to 1974. The forks are full or part chrome under the paint.
The stuck seat post was a nightmare to get out.

Now the question is, do I try to find some campagnolo band on brackets or do I get some brazed on?
I have some bits for the build, Mafac brake calipers, weinman or some G.B. Coureur all from the right period? The Mafac are the cleanest and have had little use.
The Campagnolo bottom bracket and headset have cleaned up really well on corrosion being on the top nut of the headset, anyone have a spare?

Attachments

• MKM restoration 008.JPG
    MKM restoration 008.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 628
  • MKM restoration 011.JPG
    MKM restoration 011.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 628
  • MKM restoration 005.JPG
    MKM restoration 005.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 628
  • MKM restoration 006.JPG
    MKM restoration 006.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 628
  • MKM restoration 014.JPG
    MKM restoration 014.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 628
  • MKM restoration 016.JPG
    MKM restoration 016.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 628
Campag BB

Just a quick observation...

That BB axle is a Pista one (as signified by the "P" stamping), meaning you will have problems mounting a double chain ring Crankset, if that's your intention.

If so, you'll need the same axle but one stamped with "SS" (Strada) which is 5mm longer on the drive side.

Steve.

...Funnily enough, I was about to ask about the width of the bracket shell on this... 65mm? and OLN?

Thanks for the info about the BB axle, not sure what it had on before I got it, will speak to the person I got it off.

I'd get a bag of oxalic acid powder off Ebay as I remember its only about £3. Brilliant stuff with a good soak for cleaning up corroded chrome and steel.

I hope I'm wrong, but it would be worth having a good poke around the bottom bracket shell. From the photo's there seems to be a lot of rot, if its perforated the tubes the frame will be seriously weakened.

Back