Steel Look frames

bigpantswheels

Devout Dirtbag
Doe's anyone know anything about the Look steel frames raced in the 80's ? I'm sure they were rebranded but who actually made these. I believe they had English bottom brackets which would be strange in the 80's if they were built in Italy or France. I think these were only made for a short time before they started the carbon trend. Iv'e also seen a few beautiful lugged steel Look frame from the late 90's possibly after the company was split and sold. I don't know who built these either but the workmanship was top notch and looked very similar to Tommasini with lots of chrome and pantographed fork. I was told that these also used an English BB. Any one own one of these or know who made these?

bigpantswheels":1d37gk6y said:
Doe's anyone know anything about the Look steel frames raced in the 80's ? I'm sure they were rebranded but who actually made these. I believe they had English bottom brackets which would be strange in the 80's if they were built in Italy or France. I think these were only made for a short time before they started the carbon trend. Iv'e also seen a few beautiful lugged steel Look frame from the late 90's possibly after the company was split and sold. I don't know who built these either but the workmanship was top notch and looked very similar to Tommasini with lots of chrome and pantographed fork. I was told that these also used an English BB. Any one own one of these or know who made these?

The later 90s steel Looks had a very traditional appearance and sat in the range as a sort of "niche" offering alongside the usual carbon and aluminium products - I've a hunch they were made under licence in Italy by Billato. The English/BSC BB shell may have been used to offer a bit of continuity across the range, having said that this was around the time that Italian builders were finally starting to accept BSC as the standard BB thread format.

David

i believe that hinault's own mechanic made the 753 frames for La Vie Claire. i can't remember his name (alain descroix?) but he features in hinault's training book. i can't remember the name of that either!!

god, middle age sucks....

:oops:

rusty bodie":3tt8sqn9 said:
i believe that hinault's own mechanic made the 753 frames for La Vie Claire. i can't remember his name (alain descroix?) but he features in hinault's training book. i can't remember the name of that either!!

god, middle age sucks....

:oops:

The Hinault book is quite bluntly and simply (as befits The Badger's no-nonsense approach) named "Road Racing: Technique & Training" - not an ounce of fat on that title. I've got a copy at home (Descroix was indeed the La Vie Claire mechanic).

David

so, i'm not as rusty as i thought! thanks for that, david..

i'm sure it shows you the mechanic brazing hinault's frame in the book...?

Back