Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:02 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Steel Look frames
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:55 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Doe's anyone know anything about the Look steel frames raced in the 80's ? I'm sure they were rebranded but who actually made these. I believe they had English bottom brackets which would be strange in the 80's if they were built in Italy or France. I think these were only made for a short time before they started the carbon trend. Iv'e also seen a few beautiful lugged steel Look frame from the late 90's possibly after the company was split and sold. I don't know who built these either but the workmanship was top notch and looked very similar to Tommasini with lots of chrome and pantographed fork. I was told that these also used an English BB. Any one own one of these or know who made these?

Post subject: Re: Steel Look frames
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
bigpantswheels wrote:
Doe's anyone know anything about the Look steel frames raced in the 80's ? I'm sure they were rebranded but who actually made these. I believe they had English bottom brackets which would be strange in the 80's if they were built in Italy or France. I think these were only made for a short time before they started the carbon trend. Iv'e also seen a few beautiful lugged steel Look frame from the late 90's possibly after the company was split and sold. I don't know who built these either but the workmanship was top notch and looked very similar to Tommasini with lots of chrome and pantographed fork. I was told that these also used an English BB. Any one own one of these or know who made these?

The later 90s steel Looks had a very traditional appearance and sat in the range as a sort of "niche" offering alongside the usual carbon and aluminium products - I've a hunch they were made under licence in Italy by Billato. The English/BSC BB shell may have been used to offer a bit of continuity across the range, having said that this was around the time that Italian builders were finally starting to accept BSC as the standard BB thread format.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 pm 
Retro Guru

i believe that hinault's own mechanic made the 753 frames for La Vie Claire. i can't remember his name (alain descroix?) but he features in hinault's training book. i can't remember the name of that either!!

god, middle age sucks....

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 am 
Dirt Disciple

I just read an interview with Hinaut and I believe the 80's frames were made by Gitane.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 am 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
rusty bodie wrote:
i believe that hinault's own mechanic made the 753 frames for La Vie Claire. i can't remember his name (alain descroix?) but he features in hinault's training book. i can't remember the name of that either!!

god, middle age sucks....

:oops:

The Hinault book is quite bluntly and simply (as befits The Badger's no-nonsense approach) named "Road Racing: Technique & Training" - not an ounce of fat on that title. I've got a copy at home (Descroix was indeed the La Vie Claire mechanic).

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 am 
Retro Guru

so, i'm not as rusty as i thought! thanks for that, david..

i'm sure it shows you the mechanic brazing hinault's frame in the book...?