rust and paint - what would you do?

steven3ver

Retro Newbie
I am a bit in two minds. My Ribble bike has some rusty patches near the seat post, on the top tube and bottom bracket (see pictures). A complete repaint would be the most rigorous option, doing nothing the least (but not preferred)...

I was wondering if there were in-between alternatives that others have pursued, or what advice more the experienced/knowledgeable on this forum would have.
So... needless to say, I am a novice when it comes to all this.... Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0510_med.jpg
    IMG_0510_med.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 323
I think it's at the stage of a shot blast and respray or powder coat, my neighbour has just had one of his metalic powder coated in blue and looks great.

I have a frame that has a slightly ropey seat stay. It looks like it was chipped and then hand painted. I took the frame to a paint shop and had them match the colour. They then put the paint in a spray tin. Once the weather gets warmer, I will strip and reprime and then spray. I know it won't be a hard as a proper spray but, it also only cost £12.

I would say you at least need to get that rust off. Once off, coat the area in Krust or similar. I would experiment with the area under the BB. If its a disaster, nobody will really see it and you can get it done properly after winter.

Here's a list of what I would need to touch up a frame:

Stiff wire brush to remove rust
Anti-rust product (optional)
Wet or dry paper
Primer (those little tins of Humbrol will do)
Paint (ditto)
Paint brush
Thinners/brush cleaner
T-cut
Time and patience

Obviously if you are collecting this stuff from a standing start, it is going to cost you about half of what it would cost to just take the frame down the powder-coaters, so why bother? But on the other hand AFAICT the paint on your frame is 90% sound... so why blast it off? But then again, the powder-coat is going to be a much tougher finish than your patches of Humbrol... which could be an advantage if you are planning to be careless.

I don't understand spray-painting a bike frame. I can't see how it would be possible (for me...YMMV) to actually get more than about 20% of the paint on the frame. Where does the rest of it end up?

This is the world we (try to) live in... It makes more sense economically to subject your frame to a 100% blast and re-finish, than it does to take the time and trouble to touch up the perhaps less than 1% of your frame that actually needs attention.

torqueless":3lx4dq4o said:
Here's a list of what I would need to touch up a frame:

Stiff wire brush to remove rust
Anti-rust product (optional)
Wet or dry paper
Primer (those little tins of Humbrol will do)
Paint (ditto)
Paint brush
Thinners/brush cleaner
T-cut
Time and patience

Obviously if you are collecting this stuff from a standing start, it is going to cost you about half of what it would cost to just take the frame down the powder-coaters, so why bother? But on the other hand AFAICT the paint on your frame is 90% sound... so why blast it off? But then again, the powder-coat is going to be a much tougher finish than your patches of Humbrol... which could be an advantage if you are planning to be careless.

I don't understand spray-painting a bike frame. I can't see how it would be possible (for me...YMMV) to actually get more than about 20% of the paint on the frame. Where does the rest of it end up?

This is the world we (try to) live in... It makes more sense economically to subject your frame to a 100% blast and re-finish, than it does to take the time and trouble to touch up the perhaps less than 1% of your frame that actually needs attention.

Pretty much as above. That is really a minor paint issue, the top of the seat post being the worst. Get the area as clean as you can and either humbrol or nail varnish, with some good brush work you'll never know :)

Back