length of bolt! :(

bananaman

Dirt Disciple
hi im currently converting the weinmann brakes on my raleigh tour of britain kellogs 501. I have aqcuired some white rx100 dual pivots to compliment it. How ever when coming to put them on the through bolt for both of them are not long enough. front is only about 5cm to go through frame and rear is only 3-4 cm. Does anybody have any ideas how to change bolts to make them longer or secure them to the frame another way? Please help!

Brake Pivot Bolts

I can't say for certian without seeing the brakes, but I imagine your old Weinmann calipers have "nutted" pivot bolts, ie they are longer and secured to the frame with nuts, whereas your more modern brakes use "recessed" Allen Key nuts which go into the frame itself.

I've got round this problem in the past when using Campagnolo SR Calipers by fitting the front caliper to the rear and changing the too short rear bolt to a replacement front "nutted" bolt (hopefully that makes sense!).

I'm not sure though that you would be able to get a replacement "nutted" pivot bolt for your modern dual pivot brakes, someone else may be able to advise on that.

The only other option I believe is to drill out the rear of each brake mounting hole on your frame to take the new recessed nuts. This is not too bad on the forks as you can remove them to make access easier, but the closeness of the seat tube makes drilling out the rear more awakward.

dilemma

yo are right the weinmans are a lot longer. the issue with the back is gonna be tough. the front however i think only goes half way through the forks. would i be able to put a nut in the forks in the hole? do ytou think this is secure enough. you see on the dual pivots its on a allen key bolt isnt it, and its recessed for clearance for the other caliper arm. i just bought new pads for em too and might not be able to use th bloody things lol. on my banana i got 105.s same i know but there not dual pivot they are the 5500.s and has onr through bolt and allen key end exposed. these are metallic blue looking and wouldnt suit my kellogs bike and dont fancy taking off a bike like my 531 banana as the white rx.s wont look right! life is full of imprtant choices and this is one of them!

I used an allen nut up inside my forks when using a modern caliper on old steel forks. You can tighten it through the hole the old bolt would have gone through. Works fine and looks clean as it is hidden.

Re: Brake Pivot Bolts

Ralph_the_Rohan":102nasl1 said:
The only other option I believe is to drill out the rear of each brake mounting hole on your frame to take the new recessed nuts. This is not too bad on the forks as you can remove them to make access easier, but the closeness of the seat tube makes drilling out the rear more awakward.

This is actually the best option. Depending on your brake bridge you can drill it all the way through if theres enough meat there. Alternatively you will need an angle drill to get in from behind.

There is another option for the rear and that is to replace the fixing bolt on the rear caliper with the fixing bolt from a front brake (not sure but think that most Shimano Dp's from the same era will fit). This will then feed all the way through. Forks are easy to drill as mentioned.

Back