tour de france 2014

pigman

Old School Grand Master
apologies folks, its not retro, worse, its in the future. I had considered posting in the off-topic section, but thats mainly read by mtbers who think all roadies are ###s, so its probably best here.
I cant contain my excitement - its coming to sheffield and passing within half a mile of where I live and doing the roads we regularly ride as a club. I feel a mega weekend coming up. Is this real or just a dream?

Nope, the Grand Depart and Stage 1 are in Yorkshire in 2014.

The GD passes within 10 miles of where I live, and the start of Stage 1 is only a 30 min train ride away.

My plan is to ride to Ripon on the first day then get the train to York on the second day.

Should be fun, we missed out on going to see the Olympics and I doubt Yorkshire will get another shot at a GD in my lifetime, or my daughter's so we are going to make the most of it!

pigman":2xktpoq5 said:
apologies folks, not is it not retro, but its in the future. I had considered posting in the off-topic section, but thats mainly read by mtbers who think all roadies are ###s, so its probably best here.
I cant contain my excitement - its coming to sheffield and passing within half a mile of where I live and doing the roads we regularly ride as a club. I feel a mega weekend coming up. Is this real or just a dream?

Too right. I've been buzzing since before Christmas. I've been boring my wife about it since then and cannot wait.

Stage 2 looks a proper hardman route too. (well as much as you can in Yorkshire).

I can't wait to cheer the peleton on Holme Moss - who needs l'Alpe d'Huez.

The Strines should sort a few of the rider's out too before the final run into Sheffield.

Top banana !

Can't wait to treat Mrs Ned to a day in Leeds on our wedding anniversary for the team presentations :roll:

Then another early train next morning for the start to collect lots of hats and other 'souvenirs'.

Then a ride out to the Moss for the second stage. Along with thousands of others I expect!

After being told on 'Look North' last night (by a seemingly over-excited Christa and Harry) that it's all going to cost £10m I'm waiting for the anti-cycling backlash to kick-in by the financial moaners.

Stuff em! I'm going to get MY moneys worth out of my council tax :D

Not my neck of the woods any more, but fortunately I still have old friends in York and Wakefield who might be getting badgered into putting me up in their spare rooms for a day or two next summer. :)

That would make it 2 TdFs (I was on the Canterbury finish line in '07), the men's Olympic RR and both Olympic TTs all seen on home soil before I've even turned 40. Not bad.

David

Old Ned":63s65acs said:
Then a ride out to the Moss for the second stage. Along with thousands of others I expect!

Yep, see you there!

There's so many possibilities for seeing the riders fly by near me I'm spoilt for choice. Holme Moss wouldn't have been my choice of hill - I reckon the longer and more scenic "Isle of Skye" road out of Holmfirth would be better but then the route would have to go into Lancashire.

I can't wait for 2014 - TdF in Yorkshire, new racing bike (fingers crossed), L'Eroica (toes crossed) and 50th birthday (oh well)!

Mark.

The route through Keighley is 1/2 mile away from my house, very excited about it, just hope they keep the chavs out the way.

Going see the finishing stage on day 1 in Harrogate as well.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back