Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:23 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:03 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
never liked him. Always thought he was/is a wanker and he is a cheat as well.
Not surprised.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2186
Location: Shrewsbury
sletti wrote:
I remember reading a fair few fruity articles implying that Hinault and other elite riders of his generation were using steroids at some point in their career, and of course Tommy Simpson was so wankered on speed and booze (trying to use the combo as a diuretic apparently) that he croaked on a hill.


My thoughts exactly. Kind of a big fuss about something that's been going on for years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm
Posts: 306
Personally, I always thought he was on something, everyone else around him was taken down yet he survived !!! I had countless arguments over the years with my non-cycling friends who would not hear a bad word about LA !!! Oh well.

As for the interview with Oprah, I prefer this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUKZD6eqgo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Posts: 1994
Location: North Ayrshire
sletti wrote:
and the alarmingly large number of riders who have been either fingered for doping..


i didn't know that doping controls went THAT far!!!!

:shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 2098
Location: Sheffield, top city
Robbied196 wrote:
sletti wrote:
I remember reading a fair few fruity articles implying that Hinault and other elite riders of his generation were using steroids at some point in their career, and of course Tommy Simpson was so wankered on speed and booze (trying to use the combo as a diuretic apparently) that he croaked on a hill.


My thoughts exactly. Kind of a big fuss about something that's been going on for years.
not quite! Up till Tom's death, the medicine bag was part of a riders tools of the trade. The officals and riders both knew there were likely to be adverse health effects, but doping contols were minimal and many a blind eye was turned. After Simpson, everyone realised things couldnt carry on like that systematic dope controls and sanctions were put in place so that the incident could never be repeated. Point is up til that point doping was ok, almost legalised, after that it became illegal. For those that continued doping, it was still fairly simplified - pot belge and steroids, ie stronger muscles and resistance to pain. And who knows what went on behind the Iron curtain with all the science they applied? The mid 80's took things a lot further with blood doping and cardio vascular enhancements right up to where we are today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:36 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:33 pm
Posts: 208
Location: NW Kent
pigman wrote:
not quite! Up till Tom's death, the medicine bag was part of a riders tools of the trade. The officals and riders both knew there were likely to be adverse health effects, but doping contols were minimal and many a blind eye was turned. After Simpson, everyone realised things couldnt carry on like that systematic dope controls and sanctions were put in place so that the incident could never be repeated. Point is up til that point doping was ok, almost legalised, after that it became illegal. For those that continued doping, it was still fairly simplified - pot belge and steroids, ie stronger muscles and resistance to pain. And who knows what went on behind the Iron curtain with all the science they applied? The mid 80's took things a lot further with blood doping and cardio vascular enhancements right up to where we are today.


The biggest change has been the public reaction to doping.

I think that has been down to a change in the landscape of recreational drug use. A bit of cannabis use in the 50s and 60s was not given news headlines, so "drugs" was not such a scary word.

Nowadays, "drugs", means some poor looser with a spoon, a lighter, a syringe, **** up complexion and teeth, laying in a puddle of their own puke under some forgotten railway arch in Soulth London. That is a far more tabloid compatible image that can be used to whip up disgust for, and rejection of a user.

Drugs in sport is one thing; "Drugs" in sport is whole other thing that is handled in a disproportionate way, and it becomes increasingly expedient for the politicians of our sport to bring about ever more draconian measures because they have dealt with this after it has become a ticking political timebomb.

I would not want to be the one who has to dig the sport out of it's mire, but abit more stick and bit less carrot is the only way. It is important for us though, the diehard fans, to keep a brave face and continue to support the sport after this summer's audience become bored of hearing about Wiggins and go back to ignoring cycling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 2363
Location: Bournemouth
Armstrong sings Radiohead's Creep

http://clipnation.com/lance-armstrong-sings-radioheads-creep/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:05 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Posts: 1994
Location: North Ayrshire
hilarious and very clever too!

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1470
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
I think many of the posts on this thread fail on the one hand to really understand the big picture here, and to understand the context both - let's say Armstrong era, post Armstrong and the past before the Festina scandal gave it legs.

Comparing the"Simpson"era to the"Armstrong"debacle is simplistic in the extreme.

As for Wiggos recent remark, he should have said nothing. Wiggo commented about LA on his comeback and thought at the time he was"on something" - so why did he keep quiet?

A lack of integrity.

Using amphetamine is, I suggest, very different from using EPO, blood transfusions and keeping a personal blood bank.

Guys, it is all about the money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
roadking wrote:
As for Wiggos recent remark, he should have said nothing. Wiggo commented about LA on his comeback and thought at the time he was"on something" - so why did he keep quiet?


The possible risk at the time of being slapped with a massive lawsuit by Armstrong? After all, without any hard facts or test results, Wiggo couldn't actually prove anything at the time - with Armstrong out of the sport and confessions already made, things are a bit different now. Plus the threatening behaviour directed towards Lemond, Bassons and Simeoni, and no doubt umpteen others, speaks for itself.

Incidentally, I recently picked up a cheap second-hand copy of The Secret Race; reading it has only served to cement my opinion of LA as a bully and a first-class turd.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], markyp, petermschwarz, Spokesmann and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group