Threadless Bottom Brackets

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Evening all,

Anyone got any knowledge of these? How do they work and what stops them from rotating with the crank rotation? Suitable for a single speed build or would the forces exerted cause issues?

Cheers

Hi, my understanding of the subject is there are two types of threadless design, bikes designed for them, or repair types. Some 40's / 50's bikes ( Paris & Carpenter ) were designed for the threadless b/b, these had a good fitting threaded sleeve ( b&w, tdc, bsa all did them ) and the two bearing cups had a step that fitted perfectly into the b/b shell and literally it clamp themselves onto the frame, most had a gap for a grease nipple that would stop the sleeve rotating but it is the clamping action that really held the b/b. The more modern repair types work also on the clamping method, one type has a 45 degree chamfer that just tightens onto the b/b shell and the clever Velo Orange one expands internally once fitted to clamp onto the inside of the b/b shell. I hope this helps. Terry

OldTel":10acb6lo said:
Hi, my understanding of the subject is there are two types of threadless design, bikes designed for them, or repair types. Some 40's / 50's bikes ( Paris & Carpenter ) were designed for the threadless b/b, these had a good fitting threaded sleeve ( b&w, tdc, bsa all did them ) and the two bearing cups had a step that fitted perfectly into the b/b shell and literally it clamp themselves onto the frame, most had a gap for a grease nipple that would stop the sleeve rotating but it is the clamping action that really held the b/b. The more modern repair types work also on the clamping method, one type has a 45 degree chamfer that just tightens onto the b/b shell and the clever Velo Orange one expands internally once fitted to clamp onto the inside of the b/b shell. I hope this helps. Terry

Thanks Terry, excellent explanation and far better than the sales drivel alongside these products on the www So it's mechanical pressure inside the shell that stops it slipping - neat. I'll look at the velo orange if some 26TPI cups a fellow RB member is sending me don't fit. Many Thanks

I have a Velo Orange threadless BB on my French- threaded 531 Raleigh. It is a simple design and fit and works well- I have certainly not had any issues with it. Just a little expensive, but..... David

Cossington":1m6tfmjl said:
I have a Velo Orange threadless BB on my French- threaded 531 Raleigh. It is a simple design and fit and works well- I have certainly not had any issues with it. Just a little expensive, but..... David

No longer going down the threadless BB route thanks to a fellow RB members kind donation to me (cheers GC) but i'm glad I learned something new. as for velo orange, agreed, a little on the expensive side but their products look excellent - some lovely bottle cages etc. another bookmark added to the list.

Back