winter riding and tyres?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone else going through them at the moment? Rears on some pro-3s are gashed all over showing tube in places (to be fair have no idea of age of them on bike when purchased) last night checking over 2 ride old tyres (Willier own brand freebe off mate) and the fronts have massive splits along the tops as if a razor blade has been run down them :roll:

Been trying to skimp through the winter without buying/using decent rubber :roll: :LOL:

the michelin pro 4 endurance a supposed to be a good tyre for tougher conditions with good puncture protection and not cut so easily. you can get them for about £ 25 each

I use Schwalbe Blizzards which are OK (and reasonably priced)but many people recommend Gatorskins or even Pasellas.

Trouble is that for everyone that recommends a certain tyre another will say they're useless!

tyres

Hi.
Used Gatorskins on the road tandem for a few years now and they handle it with no problems.I found the walls on Pasallas tend to dry out and you loose threads.
regards
Peter

My favourite has been Conti GP 4 seasons in 25mm. I have some Schwalbe Durano's to try too but they haven't saw tarmac yet.

Not using my race bike much at present other than on the training rollers.
My tourer/commuter is seeing a lot of use and has 25mm Vredestein Volantes - a fairly basic wire-bead tyre (albeit with the usual Vredestein puncture resistant banding as per Ricorsos and Fortezzas), but just the job for this time of year and they seem to cope with everything chucked at them so far.

David

I've just looked at mine which have do a fair number of miles on roads sometimes awash with stuff moved from fields and they look pretty good. No cuts or flints in the bits I can see.

They are Vittoria Rubino Pros. I'll just use them to destruction. I have been very happy with the ride quality. I'm about to start the tubular experiment and will be noting their resistance to debris etc.

Vredestein Fortezza Quattro Tri-comp. Eat up winter conditions, first time i've found a tyre that actually works in winter.

On a similar tack, one to avoid are Veloflex Master, 3 punctures in 4 days last week, fantastic in summer but soft compound on grit and road debris - awful in the current climate.

Back