Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:50 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:42 am 
Old School Hero

Hi all,

I've always ridden mountain bikes, never racers.

Currnetly however I am commuting 16 miles each way on an old KHS montana comp mountain bike (with road tyres). I like the ride, but speed is very limited (14mph average).

I'm interested in getting a retro racer to save time more than anything else.

I'm reasonable handy with bike maintenance, but I'm really looking for something I can get on and ride straight away - so something in good condition.

Problem is - I haven't the foggiest what would be good! Makes/models/costs - I am clueless.

So - can anyone suggest something that I should look for / provide any pointers? Frame size would be a good one - I'm 6ft.

Budget wise, I don't know what I'd need to spend - so some guidance there would be good to. Remember... this will be a work horse... so doesn't have to be something special. Just solid and fast.

Many thanks all!

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

A Raleigh built of Reynolds 501 tubing, there are oodles of versions of this bike and oodles in circulation. I have the Criterium version. Lightweight enough lugged frames that can take guards/rack and come in many sizes, mines about 25".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I think 3-4" bigger than your mtb size is a good rough guide. I'd be looking at something with nice tubing (501 as mentioned or 531 would be my ideal for a commuter).

Beyond that the world's your oyster, perhaps keep an eye peeled for a good deal local to you so you can swing a leg over :wink:

One thought might be to stick close to your mountain bikes in terms of gears - ie if you use 8speed Shimano stick with it so that you can move your old/worn kit onto the commuter to really kill it off completely; chains, sprokets, even 110 rings (old atb standard/compact road size). Should save you a few quid and mean emergency spares are available to get you to work!

Post up what you find and more knowledgeable folks than me will give you opinions :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm 
Retro Guru

23" Frame, Reynolds 531, 700c Alloy Wheels with QR hubs, Shimano or Campagnolo would all be a good starting point. So far as makes go the list is pretty endless Dawes, Claud Butler, Holdsworth, Harry Quinn, Harry Hall, Brian Rourke, Peugeot and on and on and on.

Personally, this looks a good deal: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237554

Or this, but its possibly gone: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237549

£200 - £300 should sort you out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
velomaniac wrote:
A Raleigh built of Reynolds 501 tubing, there are oodles of versions of this bike and oodles in circulation. I have the Criterium version. Lightweight enough lugged frames that can take guards/rack and come in many sizes, mines about 25".

+1, good reliable entry-level frames these for trainers, winter bikes, commuters, light tourers etc. The Criterium is a cut above the other models not least 'cause it can accommodate 2 bottle cages for longer rides.
If you want to go a tad upmarket, try the Triathlon or Quadra which are 531 main triangle & fork blades. Although not designed as a tourer, my repainted Quadra (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213339) with guards, rack & panniers fits the bill well and is a reliable, comfy ride - and a stable one too, even when laden with luggage.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm 
Old School Hero

Thanks so much guys! Really helpful. I will post some things that I'm looking at.

Max