What colour should I paint my 1979 Carlton Professional?

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
My Carlton rebuild is coming along nicely and it is time to get the frame and forks painted. So the question is, what colour?

I am not having it done in the original silver as I simply do not like silver! I have however obtained a set of replacement Carlton and Reynolds decals so I want a simple one colour scheme that would not be out of character for the bike. I have the choice of tan or black saddle and bar tape and it will be running a full (highly polished!) Arabesque groupset.

I have spent many a happy hour over the last few weeks looking for inspiration and my favourite at the moment is sky blue with tan saddle and bar tape.

link to the build thread here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1779140

Suggestions please! :D

How she looked when I first got her.

CIMG7533.jpg

Vimes

To keep it period, I remember
carlton clubman, 531 plain gauge, mudguard eyes - either fire engine red or royal blue met
competition, 531db, longer dropouts, light flue metallic
pro, short dropouts. - silver

raleigh sbdu's - silver or gold.

In the early 80's, bespoke frame fashions were pink enamel and grey met (like the motobecanes ridden by robert alban and co). I would go with some metallic or flam - the solid colours are a bit 60/70's for me.

Also, its not keeping it original but I would have top tube brake guides brazed on and poss 2 sets of bottle bosses.

pigman":2p0ajyzn said:
To keep it period, I remember
carlton clubman, 531 plain gauge, mudguard eyes - either fire engine red or royal blue met
competition, 531db, longer dropouts, light flue metallic
pro, short dropouts. - silver.

It is the light blue metallic that I think I have seen and like the look of.

Back