Dura Ace headset query??

sorry should of said, but I was thinking more along the lines of appearance / finish? Im building a bike back up with period 1980's dura ace and Ive seen this headset and wondered if theres a noticable difference. Thanks

Well depending on HOW period correct you want to get this set has the newer (90s) logo, which could be an issue solved with some lacquer remover.

Elev12k":2vfhcpjy said:
This headset uses special cartridge bearings.

It also has a higher stack height (36/37// vs 32mm if i remember rightly)

If you are replacing a 7400 it might be just too high. A King would be a good option...

Andy

Was a 7400 as low as that I thought it was a couple of mm higher???

Anyhow imho you'll get away with it and those later ones are oh so smooth. An aficionado would spot it though.

q_dura_ace.gif

r_da_7410.jpg

Finding those pictures confirms that 7400 had a stack of 37mm. Old 6400 and 1050+ had very low stacks of 32mm'ish.

I am sure those particular headsets are JIS, I know where they got them from as I have two in the shop and they are JIS. Yours current headset may be a 26.4mm standard which is not the same.

Tel":2nb1x1m5 said:
Was a 7400 as low as that I thought it was a couple of mm higher???

Anyhow imho you'll get away with it and those later ones are oh so smooth. An aficionado would spot it though.

q_dura_ace.gif

r_da_7410.jpg

Finding those pictures confirms that 7400 had a stack of 37mm. Old 6400 and 1050+ had very low stacks of 32mm'ish.

I stand corrected :oops:

bm0p700f":a2yoi0vl said:
I am sure those particular headsets are JIS, I know where they got them from as I have two in the shop and they are JIS. Yours current headset may be a 26.4mm standard which is not the same.

How can you tell they're JIS just by looking at the picture? I thought that most headsets from the big manfacturers were available in ISO or JIS. Isn't it just the diameter of the hole in the crown race that is different?

bm0p700f":1348hx02 said:

Shimano made crown races in both 26.4 and 27mm....

Andy

Back