maker query

will911

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i recently bought a very smart 653 framed steel 90's bike 54 c/t. on close examination it appears to be very well built frame wise, very neat lugged construction and was supplied as framesets available decalled up in the trade names of whichever cycle business purchased them.. likely built for 20 section tyres as 23's just about get in there. very light and lively on the road,
my query , made in England.. i wonder WHO would have made these.. there's no obvious clues on frame detail or in frame numbers.. anyone?? will

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Gazelle

hi not wishing to detract from your caution , if you 'd stripped and painted as many frames as we have and have an eye for detail you'd likely agree with my view.. it has the same top eye treatment to boot.. and it rides like a Gazelle... which were amongst the finest steel i have ever ridden..o0- will

What is a "top eye"?

A 653 Gazelle I would expect to have pantographing and a frame number. I am not aware of Gazelle supplying unbadged frames for someone else to badge as there own.

You are obviously far more experienced than the vast majority on here if you can tell what a frame is from the ride. I have had a plethora of Gazelle's pass through my hands but know that I could not jump on an unbadged one and say with confidence what it was.

I'm not sure whether this thread is asking us or telling us :?:

Gazelle..

HEY,I'm not wishing to confuse anyone here, merely pointing out absolutely similar traits to a frame i own and am not selling on here, when i happened to see a similar frameset on ebay and under closer examination of mine and it i reckon it was made by the same company.. many manufacturer operations made frames without their trademark to sell to the cycle trade.. including colnago, i am in the process of discovery as locally a cycle team back in the day ran all Gazelle and they were shipped directly from the manufacturer as framesets, the gentleman who owned the team is elderly , i have emailed him with the query.
Top eyes are the saddle top tube seat stay junction.. well known in frame building circles and can be as much a give away on steel older bikes as anything, when few other obvious clues exist ..will

I'm confused. Your title says 'maker query'. I thought you were asking for opinions on who made your frame? If you are we need photo's.

Although it sounds like you are telling us who made a frame we can't see :LOL:

Gazelle

PICS. already sold, to a mate who had his machine destroyed in a smack with a car, hes ok now , no serious injury but compensation in hands of legal eagles.. hes a steel nut.. not a stunning paint job, but there was no rust and he isn't careful of finish or cleaning.. still convinced its a Gazelle .. will

Attachments

• R1 046 (Small).jpg
    R1 046 (Small).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 403
  • R1 055 (Small).jpg
    R1 055 (Small).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 403
  • R1 048 (Small).jpg
    R1 048 (Small).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 403
  • R1 052 (Small).jpg
    R1 052 (Small).jpg