Freewheel body compatibility, change, etc.

kbmpi

Retro Guru
I was wondering, whether the freewheel body of an old exage 500 rear hub (FH-HG50) can be used on a shimano 105 FH-1051 rear hub as well.

I have the latter one with 6spd uniglide cassette laced into mavic ma2rims, and I want the bike to be 7spd, but getting a 7spd UG cassette... is hard.

So I though I'd just use this old FH-HG50 as a donor, and swap the freehub bodies. Will it be compatible with the 1051?

The freewheel body length shouldn't be an issue, as I know...

There are 7-speed uniglides out there. If you're not in too much of a hurry I'd wait until one pops up on eBay again and it'll set you back about £30. Alternatively, don't SJS Cycles keep new replacements in stock? I think someone on here may have posted a link on a thread about swapping the gear plates off a 7-speed to revive a worn-out 6-speed.

Otherwise, there is a bit about converting old uniglide hubs to hyperglide splines and vice-versa on the Sheldon Brown site. Don't know if you've seen it but here's a link and it might be handy food for thought: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

I have these hubs unlaced, haven't used them, and I don't intend to, thereby I thought I could use them as donor.. Esp, as I got it for 2 GBP-s.. and getting 7sp hg cassette with chain is cheaper..

you could always just take apart both hubs and try it :LOL:

I have a used 7s UG cassette, if you need one. I'm not sure how worn it is, but the good thing about UG is that when the sprockets are worn, you can jsut turn them over and use the other side!

Uniglides are quite hard to find now, given the choice I would fit the HG body as new cassettes can be modified to fit if need be. The Exage should fit onto the 1050.

well, I've got this whole freehub for 2 GBP-s, and it takes HG, I don't have to re-dish the rear wheel as it is a seven speed freehub body, so I'm quite happy right now. It'll adopt both UG and HG sprockets, though I won't be able to use 11t sprocket on it, but who cares, as my smallest sprocket is 12t?

One silly question though :$ Do the two systems (HG and UG) need their own chain too, or I can use any chain I find?

There is a dedicated chain for Hyperglide. It's got profiled edges to make the shifting smoother, presumably to match the different profile on the Hyperglide teeth. I only found out recently and until then I've been using any old any old chains on my Uniglide, so I doubt you'd really notice much difference.

the funny thing that after I bought this cassette body, bought a campagnolo ergolever, some guy threw up an advertisement with hardly used dura ace 7700 hubs laced with mavic open pro SUP rims and DT butted spokes, and the guy asks for approx. 90 british pounds for the two wheels with new michelin axial pro tyres :D I know that it doesn't sound retro, but the shape-design of the hubs and rims definitely classifies for "classic", not to mention the price-quality..

http://apro.bikemag.hu/browse/orszaguti ... 36216.html

Back