retro headset stack heights

GazK

Retro Guru
I need a high quality headset to match the other gear on my emerging Gran Sport build - the one supplied by the F&F seller comprise de fromage.

I need a stack height of 34mm, but what I'm not clear on is, did say the Campy Record headset come in a single stack height or a variety thereof?

For both Campag Record (steel) and Super Record (alloy) there was a Strada model and a Pista model. You would need the Pista model... AFAIK 33mm stack. The Strada stack was around 40mm.

Velobase lists stack heights if you want to check, but that's not a huge stack height you have........

Shaun

Campagnolo Record and Super Record Strada - 42
Record and SR Pista or Gran Sport - 34
Gran Sport and Record Pista are almost identical, but Gran Sport is more common and cheaper.

Checked Velobase - the advanced search is very useful, allows you to search for a particular stack height. Unfortunately doesnt allow searching for <=34mm!

predki, that makes sense - the bike is an 83 Raleigh Gran Sport. The catalogue listed it as coming with a Tange headset, but I suppose its possible it was fitted with a GS headset, since most of the other kit was GS. In any case it looks like I need to keep an eye out for a GS, thanks.

Out of interest are there any good 80s equivalents from other brands, e.g. Dura Ace, 600 etc?

Short stack height Shimano are a bit of a rarity from memory.......I ran Tange Falcon on a 70's road and Track frame so along with the Passage they should fit.

Shaun

Shimano 600 Ultegra and Shimano 1050 had very low stack height. Should be able to source one reasonably easy. Modern alternative that would be fine but getting hard to find now would be a Tange Passage. Other than that it'll have to be a Chris King.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back