Frame Identification

daugs

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this frame in early part of 1990s as a replacement for an old carlton that was a bit small and died...........always wondered what it is ?

It had no branding on and had either been resprayed or never branded but wonder if anyone can identify it. Pics are of frame and, I think, more relevantly lugs etc. There's no head badge or anything like that. If anyone wants pics of other bit of it then just let me know. It weighs 2.9kg

Has a serial number of Txxxx on bottom bracket where down tube enters lug, 126mm rear spacing, english threaded BB, and came with a Suntour Alpha headset. The brake bridges are recessed for allen key fitting brakes and had 531 lables but no specifics as to tubes etc.

8354675436_c67a2f89c1_z.jpg

8353602477_f084533c4a_z.jpg

8353604731_446e8e6bb7_z.jpg

8354668616_173abcabd9_z.jpg

8353608825_d7a709119b_z.jpg

8354672660_c4ab04252e_z.jpg

Any ideas gratefully received, cheers.

Gut feeling is its a Raleigh, lugs etc look like a Raleigh Team I've seen on here but most road bikes look the same to me, no expert by any means.

Looks like a reasonable and competantly build 'generic' frame from the late 70'/early 80's. Prugnat (probably but could be Haden etc?) window lugs which are nice but the builder? The 'T' number could give the game away if anyone is familiar with this - but I'm not! Could have been built by any one of numerous people who built for 'the trade'.

Build it up and ride it ;)

The dropout length is not solely an identifier, it is usually a combination of features, or a strong distiguishing one (e.g curly stays denote a Hetchins).

Happen why I don't frequent this place as often as I once did.

Rk.

thanks for comments so far, part of me is glad not obvious but hoping someone has some ideas. I always thought it was late 80s early 90s given allen key brake bolts but when did these start ?

the one thing that I've never seen that may be distinctive is the chain stay bridge (if that's the right name) for little tube between chain stays that I've not seen this shape ?

8358319375_7b7f5089dd_z.jpg

cheers

That's quite a common version seen on lots of frames. Lugs, tubes and frame fittings were/are manufactured by the millions by many different companies and sold to builders all over the world to mix and match as required.

so from the above I guess that unless the Txxxx serial means something to someone that the frame is pretty generic and I've not got much chance of identifying further (snowball in some warm place inhabited by red chap with pointy tail etc)

Old Ned":159waxai said:
Looks like a reasonable and competantly build 'generic' frame from the late 70'/early 80's. Prugnat (probably but could be Haden etc?) window lugs which are nice but the builder? The 'T' number could give the game away if anyone is familiar with this - but I'm not! Could have been built by any one of numerous people who built for 'the trade'.

Build it up and ride it ;)

well this sums up pretty well where I've got to, so half way there..........

8376582493_cace8aa550_z.jpg

mixture of bits, rear wheel I've had from 1986, flip flop with fixed on one side, but gave up on sprint front as tub stuck on with 25 year old tape :roll: and so front wheel off here.

Latest posts

Back