Re-furb of gum hoods - all ideas welcome

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

Has anyone any ideas if it is possible to refurb gum hoods? Clean and soften the rubber to a pliable state.

Thanks (in anticipation)

Happy New Year to all at RB!!!!

I've seen some info on a forum about restoring military cars from II WW period. They used fluid from car brake to make few hours bath for rubber parts. I'm going to do the same some day next week so I'll post results. I'need to restore Universal hoods for my Sid Mottram, they are still quite good shape, but the outer seems to be harder and prone to cracking.
WD40 and washing liquid is good for cleaning.

Thanks Tel (as always) and Predki, i await the results of your investigation.

I bought a basic brake fluid at Halfords like this and let the hoods take a loooong, over a week, bath. I took them out and washed in plain washing up liquid. The very thin layer of rubber surface came off during the washing from one hood. Now the hoods are definitely more elastic and softer. They smell strangely and 'sweat' with fluid that got inside the rubber. Method worth a try.

Thanks for that info, i might give it a try. Would you advise washing before bathing - i think i could clean a bit of the 'black growth' off with gentle washing before bathing.

My biggest problem will be removing the hoods from the levers without causing any more damage to them.

Thanks

Mine were very clean, almost NOS, so I didn't clean them before the bath. I took them of the levers. Why not to dip them together? The fluid should not damage aluminium, although it's written that it can damage paint. I bought the smallest can (250ml), but now I would have bought bigger.

I had some hard rubber hoods and I soaked mine in 100% silicone oil for a week and then washed em' went really supple.

Ian Raleigh":2mh2rr28 said:
I had some hard rubber hoods and I soaked mine in 100% silicone oil for a week and then washed em' went really supple.

Yep, silicone - that's the magic ingredient in brake fluid as well.

predki":1mkxa9qt said:
Ian Raleigh":1mkxa9qt said:

Yep, silicone - that's the magic ingredient in brake fluid as well.

Where I worked you could get 100% silicone by the tap! Its very expensive but when there are a few two litre bottles in the shed... I'm sorted ;)

Back