Harry Quinn dating and value

Tom Fox

Retro Newbie
I have owned a 10-speed Harry Quinn bike with Reynolds 531c frame and forks for about 25 years, having bought it second hand in the late 1980s. It has sat unused for about 20 years and I'm considering donating it to a social enterprise to do up and sell on. Before I do, I'd like some idea of its value. From the various threads on this forum and others, I suspect that it dates from the period when Falcon used the Harry Quinn brand, as the serial number doesn't follow the standard Harry Quinn format beginning with Q. It's in reasonable condition but would need an overhaul.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how I can date it more reliably and on likely value.

Attachments

• DSC09937_4511.JPG
    DSC09937_4511.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 9,324
Valuation wise is a bit tricky as you have taken the pic from the wrong side but I'd say it loos like it is lowly equipped. Pre refurbed value would be about £130 - £170'ish imo.

Not sure on how to date and not familiar with Quinns history, I wasn't aware that they ever sold out.

Thanks, that's useful. Yes the photo is that way just because it's the way it has been hanging in the garage. I think you are right about the spec being quite basic. Most components are Shimano e.g. Tourney brakes. The rear deralleur is SunTour Honor.

My understanding is that from 81-89, Townsend and Falcon were licensed to use the Harry Quinn brand, after Harry retired. He and his son Peter bought back the name in 1989 and started making frames again, until the company was wound up sometime in the 90s.

Tom Fox":v37smfvs said:
Thanks, that's useful. Yes the photo is that way just because it's the way it has been hanging in the garage. I think you are right about the spec being quite basic. Most components are Shimano e.g. Tourney brakes. The rear deralleur is SunTour Honor.

My understanding is that from 81-89, Townsend and Falcon were licensed to use the Harry Quinn brand, after Harry retired. He and his son Peter bought back the name in 1989 and started making frames again, until the company was wound up sometime in the 90s.

It was the Frank Clements connection that got the brand into the Townsend 'collection' of 'makers'. A mate had one of the Townsend 'Harry Quinn's' and he thought he had a real cracker of a lightweight until I burst his balloon. It was awful! I reckon they had a load of HQ decals and decided to use them up on a batch of low end machines.

Frank Clements bought into Harry Quinn in 1977, but the quality of the frames was top notch until Harry retired, about 81. Terry Dolan and Bill Whitcomb were working there around the time and also produced excellent frames. These frames will carry a frame number Qxxxx.

After Harry retired and moved to Wales, things went strange; the Liverpool workshop was closed, and HQ frames were made off-the-peg rather than made to measure. These were of differing quality and tended to carry a long frame number on the BB shell. I've got one of these from 82 and it's an absolute shocker. It's as heavy as sin and the gear is very low quality. Clements was involved in the importing of frames, and worked with Falcon and Coventry Eagle.

The rumour was that Harry saw one of these frames with his name on, and was appalled - so much so that he bought the brand back (about 85?) and started making them in Wales. These carry a Qxxx number.

If yours is Reynolds 531c and has chrome ends, it doesn't sound like my Clements; it might be a higher-end Coventry Eagle re-badged, rather than the far-east import I've got. But to be sure, I'd check to make sure that there isn't a Q number, as without this, it isn't really a HQ.

Thanks, good to have my suspicions confirmed by a HQ afficionado. Yes mine is 531c and (from a layman's perspective, at least) not something I'd call a shocker. But it's clearly not a 'real' HQ either. The serial number on the BB is definitely not a HQ number - it's ??M86556, with the first two letters being something like H or M then O or C or Q respectively.

When my parents bought it for me (second hand from a bike shop in Brigg - where I understand Falcons were made, perhaps not coincidentally?) they were under no illusion that it was anything more than a decent framed runabout for a teenager, so it's no surprise to find out that it's not a 'real' HQ. Interesting to hear that it might be a Coventry Eagle, I'll look into that.

Well, I never knew that. Learn something new every day.

Quite a few riders at Hull Thursday Road Club had Harry Quinn's back in the 70's. Crisply made frames and usually had a very good finish.....usually in a bright colour :D

Shaun

hi new to forum have been watching for a while but always had a soft spot for hqs as i still have a couple both 70s but strange as the first frame i bought second hand has a lower frame number than the one i bought brand new 18 months later still have both by the way restoring them after 30years in shed

mackteck" the first frame i bought second hand has a lower frame number than the one i bought brand new 18 months later still have both by the way restoring them after 30years in shed[/quote said:
Frames can be registered here:

http://classicrendezvous.com/British_is ... gistry.htm

They appear to be generally chronological, but according to Peter Quinn, they "didn't start at 1 and work our way up". You might be able to get an idea of age from this list though.

Back