Discs on a road bike?

Not pretty but I have to admit everytime I use the road bike after I've been on my hydraulic disc MTB the brakes terrify me.

I'm not convinced myself, either by the look of them, or the performance. There's nothing wrong with correctly set up rim brakes on a road bike, so what's the advantage?

tiny little rotors and calipers coupled with the very different way roadies use their brakes to MTBers = boiled fluid I reckon

foz":xdl8oe7a said:
I'm not convinced myself, either by the look of them, or the performance. There's nothing wrong with correctly set up rim brakes on a road bike, so what's the advantage?
+1

It will be interesting to see if the pros start to use them? assuming they are allowed to by the UCI?

Just did a quick 15 miles in the rain on this and by the end the Ultegra 600 brakes were a touch sketchy, any recommendations for brake blocks that work in the wet?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 423
disc's on a roadie is not a invention of 21st century

CIMG3734.jpg

Retro Cat":3vciccms said:
Just did a quick 15 miles in the rain on this and by the end the Ultegra 600 brakes were a touch sketchy, any recommendations for brake blocks that work in the wet?

kool stop salmon are a favourite in my club

I actually don't mind them and if I had more money than sense would buy a C59 disc.

One or two lads in the cycling club I'm have disc equiped crossers that they use as winter bikes. The 'how much moment' apparently comes when you buy a second set of wheels so you don't have to keep swapping your tyres over. Saying that as long as you don't do anything stupid the wheels should last a very, very long time.

The deep rim carbon wheels - now I do find those offensive. I don't know why but they do.

I'm a big fan and think it's only a matter of time until all road bikes have discs.
Try buying a mountain bike that doesn't have discs, the same will happen with road bikes.
Now that SRAM are well advanced with hydraulic road brakes/shifters the others will have to follow.
Will be interesting to see if Campagnolo are alert enough to develop them, they missed out on the mountain bike market.
If they ignore integrated hydraulic brakes/shifters they could be in big trouble.

Back