Help needed to ID Colnago frame <groan>

agentorange

rBotM Winner
I know this isn't an exact science but if anyone has any pointers here I'd be extremely grateful.

OK, I've been offered this frame and I'm being told it's a New Mexico. It certainly looks like a Mexico but I'm also being told that it's Columbus SLX tubing which if I'm not very much mistaken wasn't a tubeset the mexico came in. The chrome lugs suggest an early version and it seems to have the crimped TT. I've not seen decals with no white background with just white text before but they look period correct. Dropouts say campagnolo.

I'm clutching at straws with my very basic knowledge but I just want to eliminate any chance of buying a frame that's been meddled with.

Any confirmation on model and year would be fab

8326152895_e92fe82b26_b.jpg

8327196158_7287a61947_b.jpg

8326132407_2e985891fe_b.jpg

8327180902_733fa9e64e_b.jpg

8327177626_6860819ceb_b.jpg

8326104229_64bf066c75_b.jpg

8327150346_7959cc7a08_b.jpg

I don't know if its a Mexico or not but it certainly is lovely - all depends on the price I suppose.

Looks to be my size too!

Yeah i like it ,wish i could find one cheap in some ones shed and she said "oh thank you for getting rid of it , i did so need the space ! " That actually happened to a mate of mine but it was a spanish lambretta . I really love those bottle cages. what are they ? are they still manufactured? Look good in titanium.

oonaff":37y7dysc said:
Yeah i like it ,wish i could find one cheap in some ones shed and she said "oh thank you for getting rid of it , i did so need the space ! " That actually happened to a mate of mine but it was a spanish lambretta . I really love those bottle cages. what are they ? are they still manufactured? Look good in titanium.

The bottle cages look like Elite's. I'm not sure if they come in titanium, but you can get them from Planet X: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BOELCUALU/elite_ciussi_aluminium_bottle_cage_silver

Nice looking bike BTW.

oonaff":36ytb7gm said:

Ale makes cages in many finishes (painted, plated, and aluminum anodized) that look just like these.

The cages are Elite and these are quite common in France but I've asked the seller to throw them in on the deal.

Still unable to find a positive ID on the frame but to be honest I guess that's the mistique of buying old frames.

I have a nice pile of Super Record and Cinelli ready for this frame & with luck it will make my Spring 2013 project. Watch this space

OK, I bought the frame and it arrived today. It's a real beauty but I would love to ID the frame.

It has crimped top and down tubes plus the following serial number/s.

1143 on the BB and H768 on the drive-side dropout.

Any thoughts?

Back