Winter Bike Recomendations

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Well, I mentioned to the wife, I was thinking of getting a bike for winter duties and keeping the 853 Kowal in the loft over winter or, perhaps selling it and getting something modern and she rolled her eyes a bit but didn't explode and start throwing stuff at me.

I have taken this to mean, "Of course I don't mind you having another bike. It's a wonderful hobby and at least you're not addicted to gambling or drugs and stuff. In fact you're a first rate husband."

So, I want to build a winter bike. What I have in mind is probably rubbish but, I want to work with what I have in the way of parts. I have brakes and a nice Mavic mech and Crapnagolo 8 speed tubular wheels that need using. So I am thinking:

58cm frame in good solid 531 or Columbus equivalent. I don't want huge clearances for mudguards but may consider fitting very low profile guards later. I really don't mind getting dirty and I choose when to ride after all.

It must have been designed for 700c wheels. I know tubs are a rubbish choice for winter, but there must be some bullet proof ones out there.

Down tube friction shifters. So that the mish mash drive train will work.

So any ideas? I'm looking to spend as little as possible on a frame and forks.

Thanks guys. Once I get some ideas I can think of a Wanted advert.

i was in a similar boat when considering a winter bike. i was torn between going with my roots and choosing something retro or bucking tradition and buying something modern.

i went to the local Decathlon store and saw this bike:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

and was sorely tempted to buy it - for under £300 it's a total bargain and much lighter than i'd have thought for a bike at this price. i can highly recommend it. the frame is beautifully made (by a robot no doubt!) and the components would easily last a few winters with care.

however, my warped retrobrain decided to spend far more than my legs are worth and at last, i'm almost there thanks to the help of the great folk on this forum..

DSCF0004-2.jpg

:D

WOW

:shock: WOW rusty, that is some winter bike!
My Corsa extra is my Sunday best ;) I would love to see your summer ride ;)

Iwasgoodonce, while not much to recommend other than a the usual steel frames that can be picked up cheaply, I do somehow think you may be reading more into your wifes rolling eyes than she actually meant ;)

Jamie

thanks for that, jamie! the old eddy frame isn't as gleaming as it looks in the photo - it's actually pretty battered up by it's former life in belgium/ netherlands (?), judging by the transfer on the offside chainstay!

DSCF0006-2.jpg

i've never owned such a tatty frame but i'm delighted to give it another lease of life and have a mix of great condition dura ace, campag record and chorus fitted to it, not to mention a rather rare shimano 600ax seatpost..

DSCF0008.jpg

where abouts are you and what's the story behind your merckx bike?

craig

Merckx Corsa

Apologies for the slight derailment of your thread Iwasgoodonce ;)

Hi Craig
I still think it looks pretty good, especially in those colours.
I'm located up near John O'Groats the last few years for work. I'm down in Glasgow/Loch Lomond way a bit and even ocasionally Ayreshire way so if you fancy a ride sometime let me know.
My Merckx I have had since new. I bought it in November 2001 when the factory was selling off the last of the steel frames. Its a 'custom' 48cm, which sounds good but in reality anything under 50cm was called custom and made in batches of 1 or 2 when someone ordered one. They also cost around £75 to £100 more :roll: They should have been cheaper as they used less steel. I personally cant complain though because list price for a standard Corsa Extra in 2001 was £575 in the UK with custom size being £650 but as mine was being sold off and had hung in the factory for a while I got it for £350 :D
I wasnt really into retrobikes then but I came to the UK in September 2001 from Australia after travelling the UK and going to the Tour that summer. Back home I had always wanted a classic steel Merckx and was determined that I would get one some day and then low and behold I was told in the November that they were stopping making steel frames, or steady production anyway. I had to do it even though I didnt know whether I would stay here or move on. It lived in its box under my bed for a good amount of time before I got the bits for it and was settled enough to build it. I arrived with my backpack and Giant TCR which had done many, many faithful miles with Ultegra and 105 mix, hence when I finally built my Corsa I built it the same, not everyones taste but its what worked for me and at the time I could barely afford that new. Its hopefully soon getting upgraded to Dura Ace.

I built this just for the winter. If the weather gets colder, consider the salt damage. I must dig out that frame I mentioned for you too!

This is my idea of a 'winter' bike!

more_norman_filth_285.jpg

Thanks everyone. Well, I have a frame and forks. My first ever 531 frame and it doesn't have lugs! I'm off up the loft to see what parts I have/need. Expect to see Wanted threads soon.

Excellent

Excellent news!
You move fast ;)
Are you going to give us a slight hint or do we have to keep checking readers rides :LOL:
Best of luck with the build
Jamie

Re: Excellent

Jamiedyer":1iwm1ar8 said:
Excellent news!
You move fast ;)
Are you going to give us a slight hint or do we have to keep checking readers rides :LOL:
Best of luck with the build
Jamie

RooKilo had a frame for sale. I'm hoping it's not too big! The loft search has resulted in offerings from Shimano, Suntour Superbe and Mavic.

Expect some questions on how to make it all work with the Campagnolo wheels I have!

Back