raleigh made brake caliper hack?

JakeMiddleton

Dirt Disciple
Hello there people, I have a problem with my brake calipers and seek advice

I have a raleigh made humber sports which needs its brake cables replaced. The problem is that they are the old raleigh pattern ones that have a lug at each end. Is there some sort of way I can hack my way around buying a new set of calipers? I looked at a video on youtube where a guy soldered ends on his cables but it looked very very complex and for the bother I would just buy new calipers.

I was thinking something along the lines of tightening a small nut and bolt on the end of the cable that goes into the brake lever and using that in place of the normal small disc shape that holds it into the caliper

anyone ever tried to navigate this problem?

Soldering is not difficult, there are instructions on here, including some I put up some time ago. Keep the original brass cable nipples and adjusters.

I had a bit more of a read about soldering. I didn't find the post on this forum but many motorcyclists seem to do cable soldering so there was some info about.

Thing is I have never tried it. I do have access to the equipment however. The general consensus seems to be to get brass ends for the cables and soft solder them on, does that sound correct to you? Alternatively I guess I could probably hand it over to a motorcycle shop.

Nice idea chipper, but not the way to go.
First get an inner wire with no anti friction coating, with the pear shaped nipple which will fit the rim end of the cable. Assemble the cable, and using the old handlebar end barrel nipple, notice that one side has a countersink. Using corrosive flux like Bakers, lightly tin the end of the inner wire. solder lightly the nipple in the right place, countersink outwards, leaving the rest of the inner sticking out. Trim the cable inner to about 2mm beyond the nipple.
The objective is to make a sort of mushroom shape of the inner wire by clamping it and tapping the bit sticking out with a light hammer.
Then run the solder through with the end of the cable downwards. The solder should fill the mushroom shape so that it cannot be pulled off. It is the solid mushroom shape that holds the cable rather than the solder.
Run some oil down it before fitting.
I have even remade the old prewar resilion cables, complete with springs etc. (years ago)

thanks for the replies guys. This forum is always so helpful when I have this sort of problem

I hope you all had a great christmas

Back