Stumpy Mudguards

nathanm26

Old School Hero
Hi all,

do any of you use those short length guards? I was thinking of getting a set for my build project from an aesthetic view point, but are they any good? I'm referring to the kind that would attach at the brake only, and are approximately 8 inches long.

Cheers,

N

These sort of things?:
shortie%20mudguards.JPG

Very period correct, but pretty rubbish IIRC, not really worth the effort, and make the bike look like it's had it's tail docked.
We used to laugh and point at ones that came in the bike shop BITD :shock: Sorry...

All the best,

yeah i considered this, but if you think about it, water doesnt flic of any one point on a tyre due to the tread patterns/knobbly bits all over them :p

if you dont want a wet arse, get a full fitting set or the crud catcher types (seat post and downtube attachment)

Those dinky guards are completely pointless other than for keeping the brake callipers clean.
Real guards are full length, ideally with a long mudflap on the front which keeps your feet dry.

I think they were mostly to get your parents off your back about not having mudguards on your bike ;)

All the best,

had these on a Carlton (Continental ?) for 2 minutes when rode to school,

as much use as chocolate tea pot, fire guard or anything similar.

Soon consigned to bin for good reason, you may want them for cosmetic retro reasons but don't expect them to do anything..............

even aesthetically it depends what the bike is. These were fitted to high street racers sold in seventies halfords. The likes of viscounts, vikings, raleigh Europas etc. Definitely not one for proper competition bikes

I thought they looked quite cool on my Pennine.

Attachments

• 58 Pennine May 2012.1.A.jpg
    58 Pennine May 2012.1.A.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 427
I had them on my Raleigh Olympus, took them off to save weight :LOL:

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes those are the ones I was talking about. I do have a set of full length guards but my dyna tech frame doesn't seem to have eyelets. So I was going to cut my guards so that they could fit from the brakes only, rather than have to buy a set which can attach to the chain stays and forks. I forget what those are called but have seen them before online.

But if the short guards are the chocolate teapot of the mudguard world, then I might just have to bite the bullet and buy some full length ones that don't need eyelets.

Cheers,

N

Back