Tin Foil

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evening' all,

Has anyone tried using tin foil to remove rust? I saw this on youTube and wondered if it was a joke or note.

Thanks,

Richard

I normally use a very fine wire wool but I know that others others on here are advocates of the tin foil.

Nope........all to do with the periodic table and the electrochemical series. best used with an acid to facilitate the reaction.

Only useful where the chrome is intact and not flaking but there are spots of iron oxide :)

Shaun

I've tried it on my forks but I wished I hadn't rubbed so hard, as some of the chrome flaked off! So take it gently.

I used ordinary aluminium kitchen foil dipped in water for cleaning wheels for my Evans and few other things with success. Even used after in rainy condition (commuting in London on these wheels for about a year) the rust didn't reappear. Aluminium foil being softer can't scratch chrome and getting inside pits adds some rust resistance (that's what I read about it and apparently it works). Here's some photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/100521097855449094739/FWEvansClubman?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I've used it on chromed frames and forks to remove tiny rust spots and get them looking good before a final polishing. I wouldn't use it on larger rust patches though. I've heard of wire will being used but I've also heard that it can rub right thorugh the chrome

I might test it myself, although my wife might get suspicious if she finds it, first oven cleaner and now tin foil, she will wonder....

Andy,

That stuff looks like magic, incredible. I wonder if it is available here.

Latest posts

Back