Info on Owen Blower cycles

Ciccioformaccio

Dirt Disciple
Has someone some info on the Owen Blower cycles ?

Is the production still active ? Any of you has a Owen bike for looking at the colour scheme and original decalcs ?

On the web I could not find any picture of such bikes and therefore any information would be very welcomed.

Ciccioformaccio":3q6iwk7n said:

Is the production still active ? Any of you has a Owen bike for looking at the colour scheme and original decalcs ?

On the web I could not find any picture of such bikes and therefore any information would be very welcomed.

Owen Blower was a cyclist of the very highest calibre, in the 1950s & 60s. I believe that he owned a bike shop, which may have been in Leicester.

I'm pretty certain, that they did not build the frames onsite, but bought them in . . . . . . . I might be able to find out who built them, because I can ask a friend of mine, who used to be a rival of Owen Blower. (He did tell me, but I've forgotten :( )

Production of the Blower frames would have ceased, very many years ago. Someone else on this forum will no doubt be along soon, to give you some more info.

Owen Blower is still alive (aged about 80) and I'm told that he lives in Leicestershire. :(

lastpubrunner":2wx9l9nk said:
Ciccioformaccio":2wx9l9nk said:

Owen Blower was a cyclist of the very highest calibre, in the 1950s & 60s. I believe that he owned a bike shop, which may have been in Leicester.

I'm pretty certain, that they did not build the frames onsite, but bought them in . . . . . . . I might be able to find out who built them, because I can ask a friend of mine, who used to be a rival of Owen Blower. (He did tell me, but I've forgotten :( )

Production of the Blower frames would have ceased, very many years ago. Someone else on this forum will no doubt be along soon, to give you some more info.

Owen Blower is still alive (aged about 80) and I'm told that he lives in Leicestershire. :(

Thank you for your info ! (hope you will find the "real" builder of the Blower frames)

Looking forward to get some more details on the Blower production and some pictures too.

Owen's shop was in Leicester, I used to visit it when there on business. In fact, I think I bought my first pair of winter overshoes from him. Definitely not a builder himself, the frames were bought in and badged. There were probably a variety of suppliers depending on the quality required.

He's still around and I'm sure I saw him at the Johnny Helms Memorial 2-up in October. Top rider BITD and held the 12 hour record from 1958 to 1967 with 271.80 miles - which was beaten by Beryl Burton with 277.25!

However, that was 'only' registered in the official lists as the Women's record, the Men's record was updated - in the same event - by Mike McNamara with 276.52.

He was also a top international road racer riding such events as the Peace Race.

His daughters were pretty good on a bike as well.

Owen Blower

Any can recognize this frame ? The producer and the model ?

Attachments

• $T2eC16d,!)0E9s37HlbOBQt7zOeK8!~~60_58.jpg
    $T2eC16d,!)0E9s37HlbOBQt7zOeK8!~~60_58.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,106
  • $(KGrHqJ,!oQFCsLg-+C9BQt7zCF(,w~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!oQFCsLg-+C9BQt7zCF(,w~~60_58.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,105
Re: Owen Blower

Someone says that the frame is from a road bike (as possibly proved by the caliper bridge present on the frame) and during the repainting process the cantilever pivots have been brazed on.

Apart from the fact that the frame was claimed to be a Owen Blower, someone knows the Perkin bikes (the decals currently on the frame)?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!iIFCjgbm-eyBQt7z,cQTg~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!iIFCjgbm-eyBQt7z,cQTg~~60_58.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,037
lastpubrunner":38olz7zi said:
Ciccioformaccio":38olz7zi said:

did you obtain the name of the frame producer ?!?

Latest posts

Back