Bottom Bracket Oil Port

A Google of Oil Hole Covers took me straight to The Nipple Shop :shock:
But it is actually what you're after and they're based in Bolton.
It never occured to me that these things would still be available so it's very good to know. They may have minimum orders though but as they are in the UK may be worth a call. If you had to buy a few I'm sure there's a market for them on here. Looks like they are all nickel plated though which is a shame.

Check that you don't need a grease type nipple. I have a 1936 Hobbs and that's what's on there. I think it's still for oil but it looks like it's for a grease type gun.

http://www.thenippleshop.co.uk/acatalog/info.html

Ian.

Thanks for the link although I'm still none the wiser for thread size.

Thanks for the offer bagpuss, what styles do you have?

I've attached a picture of what I'm guessing it should look like; but as this is purely a cosmetic feature for the bike, it would be nice to have a nice shiny flip top cover instead.

Attachments

• oil port 1953 rudge sports.JPG
    oil port 1953 rudge sports.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,548
This thread perfectly illustrates why I love this forum!

A guy is looking for an obsolete part for a seventy year old bike, which he can only source in the US; someone else finds some in the UK; then along comes another guy who'll sell him one for less than the price of a pint!

Brilliant!

Actually upon further investigation your distant memory is correct, it's a press in oil port. The guy in the bike shop had told me that they normally had threads.

I got a reply from the American website above who quite bluntly refused to sell them to me.

Now I'll be really impressed if someone on the forum wants to sell me a pint at seventy year old prices.

If you have no luck in the UK, you could try Vin at oldroadsforums.com who is well known in the US.
I sometimes assist over there, as I am old enough to remember these bikes (occasionally)
Keith

Back