Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:23 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:52 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Hi all,

So I contacted the vendor and he expects the frame to arrive on Monday. I'm chomping at the bit!

I have a couple of questions in advance of it arriving - would appreciate your feedback.

1) The spare set of wheels I have are a modern configuration, with a shimano RD2200 8 speed rear mech. Is it likely that this wheel will fit the DynaTech frame? I'm happy to change the cassette if needed, as long as the hub and axle fit into the dropouts.

2) I have read some mixed reports about the frames online, with some reporting cracking around the lugs or bonds. Do any of you have experience of this. Should I be worried?

Any feedback appreciated.

N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:12 am 
Dirt Disciple

1) the cassette is irrelevant, it's the axle width relative to the 'ole you're going to shove it between. Most modern axles are 130mm, whereas older steel frames have a smaller gap. Not a problem though, you can 'cold-set' the rear forks - literally bend them out with a bit of wood to the desired gap. Go easy though, it takes less force that you'd think.

2) same can be said for any frame if it's been ridden by lard-arses, abused on kerbs, or left to rot. You can worry about it, but to be honest it can - and does - happed to any frame. Just build it, ride it, and worry about it if it breaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Thanks for the feedback dynamicbrick. I'll take a look at the wheel and dropouts when the frame arrives (hopefully on Monday). Spreading the dropouts seems like a simple solution - but yes, as you say - go easy!

N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:43 am 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

You do not have to cold set you can just spring the frame every time you fit the wheel, less risk that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:28 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Yes, I think I know what you mean. If the difference is just a few mm the dropouts will spread to accommodate the axle with a bit of persuasion?

I'll take a good look at it and take a couple of measurements before trying anything!

Cheers

N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:54 pm 
Retro Guru

I'd be a bit wary of cold-setting a bonded frame. But like Tel says, you can just spring the stays apart each time the wheel goes in or out: if it isn't 130mm OLD, then it'll be 126mm which is only 2mm each side.

Internal cable routing is not necessarily an indicator of good quality: it was originally, so cheap builders started doing it to mimic the quality builds.

The thing to look for is a tube brazed inside to take the cable, rather than just two holes. I also think that having the top tube shaped to accept the exiting cable, rather than a cover brazed onto the tube, is much nicer.

But my Olagnero has these features, so I would say that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Tel wrote:
You do not have to cold set you can just spring the frame every time you fit the wheel, less risk that way.

I found this was putting stress on the dropout welds on my Peugeot, so decided that a bent frame was better than a stressed weld.