New to the forum - here's my new bike...

nathanm26

Old School Hero
Hi all,

Road cycling is my main hobby, and I have a modern bike that I have used extensively over the summer. My plan was to build a winter hack for as little money as possible. I purchased this poorly resprayed unknown make off ebay for £26. Its a complete bike minus the wheels, but I have a spare set of wheels in the shed. The plan is to give it a bit of TLC, in the form of a strip down, clean, frame respray etc and I'm planning to rebuild with a vintage look.

Once the frame arrives I will post some better pictures and maybe when I start rubbing the frame down it will reveal it's true identity! Not knowing much about vintage bikes I think it looks more 90's than 80's. What do you reckon?

PS I really enjoyed looking through the readers rides section. Some of you have lovely looking bikes! That gave me the motivation to not just chuck a set of wheels and mud guards on this, but to give it a bit of care and attention!

Nathan

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!k4FCRhc)uO(BQsMbylvT!~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!k4FCRhc)uO(BQsMbylvT!~~60_58.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 779
nathanm26":7rbfpjw8 said:
Once the frame arrives I will post some better pictures and maybe when I start rubbing the frame down it will reveal it's true identity! Not knowing much about vintage bikes I think it looks more 90's than 80's. What do you reckon?

From the pics, it is difficult to tell much about the bike, but it has interesting lugs - I wonder if they are bonded ? I also note, that the cable runs inside the top tube. It looks (to my eyes), rather like a Vitus frame.

IMO, this wasn't/isn't a 'cheapo' frame. I'd guess that this dates between 1988-1993; but no doubt, others will be along in a while, who can give a more accurate opinion.

I find that projects like this can be very enjoyable - hope you find it rewarding.

More pics, please !!!

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies! Yes, I did notice the internal cable routing on the top tube, which of course is generally found on modern frames of the premium variety. I guess given the tatty nature of the picture and the condition of the bike I assumed it was a budget frame. I'm really hoping there will be some clues as to the make of the bike, and if possible I would like to give it it's rightful name back. I will check out Vitus and Raleigh in the meantime.

So...maybe this will turn out to be £26 very well spent! :D

I stripped down and resprayed my alu frame on my "good bike" so I am happy to dive straight into this project and get creative.

I will certainly post more pics when it arrives (can't wait) and will more than likely start a build thread.

My brother arrives from Canada on 24th Dec and I'm planning on us doing a few rides together (I'll take this and he can have my other bike) so I might just get it road worthy first, and then commence strip down and rebuild in the new year.

N

:D

Well I'm chuffed after looking at pictures of DynaTechs on the interweb! It's a nice looking bike.

How much would they have retailed for when new?

N

Ah, the best laid plans...

I bought an '86 Peugeot off eBay for £40, precisely to use to go to the pub, the station, round friend's houses and so on. It was to be the £100 hackbike.

I could have spent £59 on it, and made it perfectly usable and undesirable to pinch...

That's exactly what they were expecting me to do. (They being her indoors mainly)

So I foxed the lot of them by blowing cough-hundred and cough-ty quid, making it entirely unsuitable to leave anywhere.

Looks nice though.

Good luck!

Oh, regards internal cable runs - my Peugeot has that. It's an Elite, and I wouldn't really call it premium. I presumed the hole at either end was a left over from the top tube's previous life in a church organ... it's certainly heavy enough.

Haha!

That sounds familiar and is exactly what I have done with my current steed. I've lost count of the amount I've spent on it. And while my wife is under the impression this bike will get a set of wheels and be "finished" it's really just beginning...

:cool:

N

dynamicbrick":598ftq8h said:
Ah, the best laid plans...

That's exactly what they were expecting me to do. (They being her indoors mainly)

So I foxed the lot of them by blowing cough-hundred and cough-ty quid, making it entirely unsuitable to leave anywhere.

This is my life, too !

I must be living a parallel existence elsewhere :)

. . . and so must my wife. :)

Back