20 Inch Rim for a Moulton ?

Cycle:Recycle

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All,

I am looking to do a rebuild on a Moulton Pashley (Landrover Branded APB) Rear Wheel.

The Cycle has a geared hub with a cassette and needs a new Rim laced to the Hub Gear. As I remember it's 36 hole and ideally require a double walled 20 inch silver rim but not having much luck tracking one down.

Any ideas??

Thanks

APB LandRovers used the common BMX size of 20" rim - ETRTO 406mm or 20" x 1.75". They're fairly common in 36-hole drilling. Look for options from Sun Metal, Alesa, even MAVIC.

As far as I remember, the original rims were Weinmann/Alesa single walls.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here are some...all in the States, so shipping migh up the cost considerably, though:

Silver Velocity Aeroheat at Peter White Cyles Only 300g, but 69 USD, though.
aeroheat_dia_at.gif

Flatter profile Sun CR18s at Harris Cyclery
rma40.JPG

Chunkier Sun RhinoLites at Gaerlan HPV
rhino.gif

Or a pair of Black/silver ones on Ebay here.

Hope that helps. All the best,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for all the help with this. It's hard to find decent Rims for this in UK apart from the Sun Ringle one on SJS Cycles site which is a little on the pricey side.

Cycle:Recycle":12cs33zh said:
Thanks for all the help with this. It's hard to find decent Rims for this in UK apart from the Sun Ringle one on SJS Cycles site which is a little on the pricey side.
The cheap single-wall rim at SJS is perfectly decent. A 36h 20" wheel is completely overbuilt for normal use. Even a basic rim makes a bomb-proof wheel if the builder is even moderately competent.

As another source of rims, have you tried Pashley? I'm out of touch, but Dan Farrell used to be the man to talk to there for Moulton spares. They're very helpful, in my experience.

one-eyed_jim":25z1cljv said:
Cycle:Recycle":25z1cljv said:
The cheap single-wall rim at SJS is perfectly decent. A 36h 20" wheel is completely overbuilt for normal use. Even a basic rim makes a bomb-proof wheel if the builder is even moderately competent.

As another source of rims, have you tried Pashley? I'm out of touch, but Dan Farrell used to be the man to talk to there for Moulton spares. They're very helpful, in my experience.

Thanks Jim, the reason i am looking for something better than the SJS Cheapish single wall Rim, is that the cycle is going to be used off road by the owners, track with pot holes etc as they live in the middle of nowhere; they've asked for MTB Tyres, Slime tubes and we're even putting Kevlar tape in too on the finished wheels (OVERKILL?)!!

Back