Shipping

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have been asked to ship a complete bike to Germany - Armed forces personal.

I estimate weight including box and pakaging to be 20-25kg. Size is 176cmx 29cmx100cm.

My problem is the quotes I am getting (transglobal for one using TNT or we deliver the world TNT again) are coming in at about £150 inc. VAT! There has to be a cheaper way to do this. Any ideas and I either can't get quotes or they are to expensive.

I have thought about shipping in bits but the reciever will have to build up and I don't think he wants to do that. Also there would be a box for the frame, another for the wheels, another for the parts, another for the mudguard and another for the tyres. If I put all the parts in one big box the volumetric weight end up similar to the built bike so there is no gain.

So I built bike is the best shipping option and alot less faff for me.

Really any suggestion or is ~£150 what it will have to be.

PO won't take something this big. Parcel force don't either unless some one can tell me different.

Chepaest so far is £141 in. VAT ouch. I can't quote that, he'll run a mile and I wouldn't blame him. Taking a £141 hit on shipping is not viable either.

Taken from hilarystone.com, as he posts:

Frames and wheelsets P&P cost:
As a guide.
12 GBP within the UK
90 GBP to the USA and Canada
35 GBP to most of Europe (but there are some exceptions)
115 GBP to most of the rest of the world but once again there are exceptions.

Delivery companies and locations for large items (frames, bikes, rims and Wheels) :
Yodel within the UK
Parcelforce within Europe
UPS or Fedex for the rest of the world

I will have to try a haulage company then.

Shipping a frame to europe is easy that about £20 odd. wheelsets again are not too bad so long as you are not after a next day delivery. It's a box of the size needed for a full bike thats the problem and it does need to be a complete bike.

Shiply works well but only if I have goods paid for as the quote got is only valid for a fixed time, I have not got the sale definatley yet.

I have passed on two quotes now. One for a full bike shipped and a cheaper one for a box of bits for him to assemble. About half the price that way.

You should get similar quotes at the time, and if not, haggle. Hauliers are not having the best of times, and it does no harm to haggle if you can. I used to work in shipping, and I never accepted their first offer.

Is your buyer British Army? He should be able to use a BFPO address, they go for the same postal rates as within the UK. There is a limit on dimensions of the box but worth checking it out. I sent a frame to a BFPO address in Germany for £16.

:)

Back