Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:11 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

We've got a horse. Well, I say 'we' - I finance (bankroll would probably be a better word) a horse which my other half has.

Anyway, up at the farm where said nag is stabled, and I'm rummaging around in one of the many barns. All of them are an Aladdin's cave of long-forgotten stuff - old motorbikes, lorries, cars, etc. Having grown up in a place similar, I'm in my element.

In amongst a pile of 90s kid's/teen mountain bikes and other odds and ends, I spy the distinct shape of a step-through. Photo taken back home in the garage once I'd wiped the accumulated grime off it.

Went and found Dave the farmer and asked him about it. "Ah, that old thing. Yeah, mother-in-law bought it new, rode it a few miles then decided she didn't like it. Then my sister-in-law had it and rode it once. It's been sat in the barn for at least 20 year now... you can have it if you want it"

Original white(ish) wall tyres, tubes, brakes - the whole thing seems to be complete original. The chrome on the wheels, bars and brakes is shot with rust spots, the rear brake cable is seized solid, and all the bearings are drier than a witch's tit, but otherwise it's more or less new.

Bit of elbow grease, new cable and chain, replace the saddle and add a basket, skirt guard, and few other touches, and that's Mum's Christmas present sorted.

Not sure about what to do about the knackered Chrome bits though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

One point - i love it!

Better than my garage find!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Ta.

Oh, and whilst in the garage this evening tinkering with it, the sullen despondency of my 14 yr old daughter appeared.

She extracted herself from BlackBerry Messenger long enough to grunt an acknowledgement of my presence, clocked the bike, and then actually spoke a coherent sentence for the first time in two years.

"Oh wow, that's cool, I want a bike like that"

I actually dropped the spanner in surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:46 am 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

:lol: Ha! I can relate to that last post.

Prey tell sir are you an author per chance? Your posts are most eloquently written, a pleasure to read.

The bike looks stunning, you'll be surprised how well that chrome comes up with some fine wire wool and autosol. Close ups please so we can give a educated opinion of how far gone she is....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 am 
Dirt Disciple

I did train as a journalist, but didn't pursue it. Before that I trained as an aircraft mechanic, but didn't pursue that either. Then I read politics at Uni, but didn't pursue that, becoming instead a salesman of the corporate variety.

So, wire wool and autosol - once I've done that, on the presumption it won't stay rust free, what's the trick to making sure it won't immediately turn reddish-brown again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 am 
Old School Grand Master

A light squirt with WD40 and a wipe over every few weeks does wonders. Not on the wheel rims of course :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:34 am 
Dirt Disciple

Challenge there is that my mum will leave it outdoors on her patio, and forget completely to do it.

I know a wheel builder, so tapped him up to see if he's prepared to get me a pair of ally rims and new spokes in the appropriate size and then teach me how to build a wheel (a skill I would like to learn).

Going to strip down the 3spd hub tonight. Not done one before, but can't be harder than a car gearbox. (Therefore, expect a post tonight along the lines of 'which order do all these bits go in?')

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:27 am 
Old School Grand Master

I worked in a bike shop and hated SA 3 speed repairs.......usually left them for the other mechanic :) I'd personally flush and oil it first.

Shaun

PS I bankroll a hore too, a 14.3 hands Cob called Billy :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
bearings are drier than a witch's tit, ..
made me laugh

Quote:
I bankroll a hore too
we all have our vices matey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master

yes, that was perhaps one of my most unfortunate typo's :(

Shaun