Garage find - need help identifying this gem

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

Today, whilst working in my garage i discovered this little gem - i think it may be Italian - note the Campag dropouts. Unfortunately, someone has resprayed it in the past but i will sort that out with Mercian. I plan to replace the groupset with Campag Anniversary - only the best for this build.

The lug work is fantastic and i might get them chromed as i will with the forks - i especially love the pedals - i think an early version of carbon called plastic - i doubt they could be replaced anywhere.

Following the refurb i might sell the bike - although the more i look at it, the more i want to keep it. The only downfall is size, the geometry is best for someone born in the 16th century and even at that, they would have to be a bit undersized.

If anyone could help me with a location for tubs for it, i would appreciate it.

I will share the pics - no drooling please!

IMGP1591.jpg

IMGP1597.jpg

IMGP1592.jpg

IMGP1593-Copy.jpg

IMGP1596.jpg

Built in Reynolds 531c - the bike is as light as a feather and very responsive. For a bike of this age, it is great to see that the original Reynolds decals have been saved - even after the respray.

Thanks Ian,

I have checked the BB and steerer for ID numbers but nothing there - i think this was a one-off build for Le Tour. I have ordered every DVD in the hope that i can identify it from the footage.

The tubs are going to be difficult to get, if i head out tonight i will ask about for some silks (1 point if you know what they are).

I love the bike but perhaps a modern grouppo may be best - Dura Ace 9000 would be good, opinions please.

With such a little gem i would not want to make a mistake - the value would be affected by the wrong equipment.

So much serious shit goes off on this forum its nice to see the funny side of an Erish Guy :D

This must be a concept bike ? How do I know why ?

Thanks Montello,

I think that it even stands up to the Pinarello Montello in terms of class. If i could work the internet i would do a blog about it.

I would like to say thanks to all who have given me advice in the past, this knowledge will help me with this build.

Have you seen the price of Dura Ace stuff? Even ebayers rob you!

I think it was a fixie in the past but i need a tool to remove the current freewheel - CRC and Wiggle do not seem to have one - any ideas?

TGR":2s29jziq said:
I think it was a fixie in the past but i need a tool to remove the current freewheel - CRC and Wiggle do not seem to have one - any ideas?
As I've said before Mate! This will do nicely...............
download.jpg

One of the more knowledgeable forum member - who will remain un-named has pointed out that weight reduction should be a consideration (thanks Ian) - i plan all carbon levers, seat pin and seat.

Again, the size is causing me problems with carbon disc wheels difficult to locate. I have contacted Chris Hoy but he was busy riding around in circles (again) so next best thing seems to be a dinner plate with carbon stickers on it - and it is lighter than the current set-up.

Any more pointers? (do not mention 600ax hoods)

IT'S HAMMER TIME .... i love that song - thanks Ian

I have checked the geometry and it seems non-standard - perhaps a custom team build for Le Tour. The details -
BB to seat pin - 26 cm
Top tube - 35 cm
Stand over height - 43 cm (varies)

I wonder if it is an old Cadel Evans frame - BMC repainted his frames and sold them.

Any ideas Retro people?

Is that a Zaskar?

I've been looking for one of these for ages.

Do you mind if I secretly PM you with a cheeky £20 offer for the bike and a promise that I won't split it?

Of course, I'll then split it and make myself a tidy profit... I'm doing the community a favour.

Back