Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 am 
Retro Guru

I get the feeling that apples might be being compared with oranges here. Most of the classic road bikes that make folk really sweat are hand-built, and often have the builder's name on them. They also cost about eight weeks' wages when new too.
If you want something new that looks as cool and individual as something old, go out there and buy it. Plenty of beautiful bicycles still being made on both sides of the pond, to name a few

UK
Bob Jackson
Mercian
Pearson
Donhou
Feather
Rob English
Dolan

USA
All City
Stanridge Speed
Icarus
Bishop
Firefly / Darkstar
Independent Fabrication

In addition to the above, you've got the likes of Salsa, Surly, On One, Charge, and god-knows who else knocking out classic-themed steel steeds of all configurations at really great prices.
I don't think there's actually been a better time to be buying a new bicycle.
Your mistake was only taking five hundred quid with you, though for that amount I'd probably have bought something versatile like a Karate Monkey frame or maybe an Inbred 29er Swapout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

The frames of today are just awful! What's with the sloping top tube? The frames look like they are designed for girls!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:20 am 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

N/B wrote:
I get the feeling that apples might be being compared with oranges here. Most of the classic road bikes that make folk really sweat are hand-built, and often have the builder's name on them. They also cost about eight weeks' wages when new too.
If you want something new that looks as cool and individual as something old, go out there and buy it. Plenty of beautiful bicycles still being made on both sides of the pond, to name a few

UK
Bob Jackson
Mercian
Pearson
Donhou
Feather
Rob English
Dolan

USA
All City
Stanridge Speed
Icarus
Bishop
Firefly / Darkstar
Independent Fabrication

In addition to the above, you've got the likes of Salsa, Surly, On One, Charge, and god-knows who else knocking out classic-themed steel steeds of all configurations at really great prices.
I don't think there's actually been a better time to be buying a new bicycle.
Your mistake was only taking five hundred quid with you, though for that amount I'd probably have bought something versatile like a Karate Monkey frame or maybe an Inbred 29er Swapout.

Apples and pears? - they still have a frame, two wheels, saddle and handle bars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

If you spend £500 on a good classic lightweight you'll get all your money back if you choose to sell it. If you buy a new modern you won't.