A Ding or Something More Serious

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

I purchased a frame recently and it has a ding - i would like opinion as to how bad it is - the pic makes it look slightly worse than it is as the chainstays are slightly curved and, obviously, the ruler is not.

IMGP1524.jpg

Options to remedy it would be appreciated too.

Thanks all

Picture is a bit tricky to orientate :) .........is that a set of forks at the top right ?

Shaun

It's the drive side chainstay Shaun.

Looks superficial i.e the stay is not creased. Although no dent is good I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Regarding a remedy when you have the frame sprayed the dent can be filled with braze and smoothed over.

Ned,

Interesting point, i will give that a look.

Apologies for the pic angle, Tel is right - drive side chainstay and ding is on the outside of the tubing.

TGR when you say the chainstays are slightly curved do you mean both of them or just the driveside one? And if both, are they both bent outward, or is the other one bent inward?

When I see bent/dented chainstays I can't help speculating as to whether the damage (if that is what it is) was done with the bike assembled/on the road or whether it was done when the frame was bare. In the first case you'd expect the dropouts to be at their original spacing. In the second case probably not. Have you measured the rear end spacing? You might want to check alignment on this frame (if you haven't already) by running a string from each dropout around the headtube and measuring the distance from the string to the seat tube on each side. If the measurement on the driveside is greater, it may suggest that someone has been 'cold setting' this chainstay, either by accident or design!

Torqueless,

There seems to be a slight curve from the seat tube to the rear dropout but it is even on both sides and the spacing is 130mm i think (it is not near me at the moment to check) but i measured it and found no odd spacing.

I will have another check when i get access to it and try using string to check it out.

BTW i enjoyed your post re. not so freewheels - Mods should make it a permanent thread and i await any more you come up with.

Thanks for your interest - i appreciate all advice

Back