'winter' tyres?

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
What 700c 28 ~ 32 winter tyres are recommended?

To give you an idea, I am doing a little off/ on road work and the Schwalbe Landcrusiers are not really up to the task.

With saturated ground, they slip and slide all over the place. Upcoming weather is due to freeze this solid - so, whats recommended?

landcruiser:
schwalbe-landcruiser-26x1-90-tyre.jpg

When it's subzero I do my rural commute on Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres, avaliable in 700c or 26". I wouldn't ever consider frost/ice riding without studded tyres. They work fine off road too.

Cheapest place and great service is bikediscount.de.

As others have said, studded for the nasty days (marathon Winters are my choice) but other days I stay on my normal tyres (Big Apples for the road and looking at others for muddy rides).

Conti have some new tyres coming out, the ones that catch my eye are the Speed Rides, same tread pattern as their cyclocross Speed, but with puncture protection, a must have for winter tyres as the last thing you want to be doing is hanging around freezing your nuts off whilst changing a tube in sub-zero temps!

if the weather is going they way of predictions, all that slushy mud will end up pretty soild.

I think better riding clothing is called for!

For security on ice, there is no substitute for studs.

I've found a surprisingly reasonable "do it all tyre" good for even moderate off-road, but mainly road and with ice patches is the Nokian W106 http://www.suomityres.fi/w106.html available in 700x35C.

These are pretty much mounted to the vast majority of the bikes in Scandinavia and trusted by the all year round commuter army, weekend warrior, tourer etc. If you find yourself in really awfull conditions, just drop some pressure out of them and ride on! Good spaced deep tread.

If you've not ridden with studs, first it will feel a bit weird and even sketchy on tarmac but eventual you just trust them to do the job and they will perform very well within the design limits. Don't even worry about the studs "wearing out", the rubber will more than likely perish before that happens.

+1 on the Peter White link.

Back