Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 am 
Retro Guru

1. Faliero Masi
2. Sante Pogliaghi
3. De Rosa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:41 am 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Never actually owned an Italian frame, unless you count my old Columbus SL CX bike (Edison) and SLX road bike (Cougar, apparently built by Terry D. himself). Having said that, based on Cycling Weekly ads of my teenage years, Tommasini and Ciocc looked pretty cool with their chrome and smart paintwork. More recently, when I lived in Otley, Boneshakers in nearby Harrogate always had a steel-framed Scapin or two in the front window, which looked quite tidy and a refreshing change from the chunky alloy and carbon machines.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

1. Benelli
2. Ducati
3. MV Agusta

:P

Last edited by whoa on Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:55 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

If you have not ridden the bikes you are judging, this would therefore solely demonstrate the power of marketing. The more correct question should therefore be "What are the top three Italian frame brands that you know personally and have ridden."

My answer to this question would be based upon my knowledge, ownership and riding of the following brands (all are bikes in my size that I bought with the intention of riding/keeping and not to flip): Alberti (one owned and sold), Bianchi (many owned and sold, one still owned), Boeris (one owned and sold), Chesini (one owned and sold), Chiorda (one owned, however built by De Rosa), Ciclo Piave (one owned and sold, another one still owned), Cinelli (many owned and sold, three still owned), Colnago (over a dozen owned and sold), De Rosa (many owned and sold, 4 still owned), Fossati (one owned and sold, one still owned), Gios (two owned and sold), Gloria (many owned and sold), Grandis (two owned and sold), Legnano (one owned and sold), Marastoni (two owned and sold, 4 still owned) Marnati (one owned and sold), Masi (over a dozen owned and sold, one still owned), Olmo (one owned and sold), Olympia (one owned and sold), Passoni (one owned), Pinarello (one owned and sold), Pogliaghi Two owned and sold), Rigi (one owned), Romani (multiple owned and sold), Umberto Dei (two owned and sold), Vetta (one owned and sold), Vianello (one owned and sold), Zanardi (two owned and sold, one still owned). I'm probably forgetting some other too...

My answer in alphabetical order would be:

De Rosa, Marastoni and Passoni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Citoyen du monde wrote:
If you have not ridden the bikes you are judging, this would therefore solely demonstrate the power of marketing. The more correct question should therefore be "What are the top three Italian frame brands that you know personally and have ridden."

My answer to this question would be based upon my knowledge, ownership and riding of the following brands (all are bikes in my size that I bought with the intention of riding/keeping and not to flip): Alberti (one owned and sold), Bianchi (many owned and sold, one still owned), Boeris (one owned and sold), Chesini (one owned and sold), Chiorda (one owned, however built by De Rosa), Ciclo Piave (one owned and sold, another one still owned), Cinelli (many owned and sold, three still owned), Colnago (over a dozen owned and sold), De Rosa (many owned and sold, 4 still owned), Fossati (one owned and sold, one still owned), Gios (two owned and sold), Gloria (many owned and sold), Grandis (two owned and sold), Legnano (one owned and sold), Marastoni (two owned and sold, 4 still owned) Marnati (one owned and sold), Masi (over a dozen owned and sold, one still owned), Olmo (one owned and sold), Olympia (one owned and sold), Passoni (one owned), Pinarello (one owned and sold), Pogliaghi Two owned and sold), Rigi (one owned), Romani (multiple owned and sold), Umberto Dei (two owned and sold), Vetta (one owned and sold), Vianello (one owned and sold), Zanardi (two owned and sold, one still owned). I'm probably forgetting some other too...

Blimey. All I can say is that you must have a very impressive collection of bikes as there's some crackers in there.

Post subject: Alan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm 
Retro Guru

TGR wrote:
In my teens i oogled older guys on their new Alans. They were so expensive to me at that time, that i never even asked what they cost. The old expression - if you have to ask how much, you cannot afford it.

I stuck to my Rapide which is still going 29 yers later, i wonder if the Alans are still going.

this shows the 2013 range

http://www.alanbike.it/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

Citoyen du monde wrote:

Amazing list of ex's.

My opinions are the result on marketing and what our heros were riding when we were kids.

I think wiggos win on a pinarello has given the brand a boost in the uk making it more mainstream.

Post subject: Italian bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:28 pm 
Retro Guru

My top 3 are

1. Battaglin - I used to import them
2 Gios - I used to race with the De Vlaeminck's on them
3 Bianchi - Marco rode one !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:53 pm 
Dirt Disciple

1 Colnago
2 De Rosa
3 Tommassini
Alhoa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

milani, pegoretti, masi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next