Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:11 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Why go custom?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:13 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

I'm pretty sure that I've asked this question a number of ways in the past but wondering why people go custom unless they have unusually short/long limbs, reduced flexibility or very particular requirements? And once down the custom road, how on earth do you decide what you want - as a Libran I'd be forever changing my mind!

As ever, supporting photographic evidence helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC

easy answer is to get what you want, custom i think is not always about fit, it's also about having something different, something beautiful and something individual.

do it Ed, i think you need to.

:)

added pics from my builder of choice, a fixie but shows my point i think

Kali - Demon Frameworks by Long and Winding, on Flickr

Last edited by jonnyboy666 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm just fettling one of my custom builds by fitting a new longer gear. Freakish limb geometry was my reason. I think perhaps now I would
pay to get fitted properly off the peg first. The sort of service someone like Cadence Sport can offer would give a better result than a frame builder squinting at you. Having said that, the price I paid wasn't more than off the peg anyway so why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Pleasure .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:11 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Pure local custom.... 8)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 676815235/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 4676815235

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 pm 
Retro Guru

just for fun

Attachments:
DSC00783 resized.jpg
DSC00783 resized.jpg [ 97.99 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:07 am 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

Good point about bike fitting above as otherwise how can you get a custom bike that suits? And I guess that even if it confirms current set up then that's a good thing.

Also proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder with that Demon - highly skilled craftmanship no doubt but I'd prefer simple and elegant every time.

Bottom line appears to be best summed up by Cheryl Cole though - "because I'm worth it".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:37 am 

exactly, i think everyone who is in to bikes seriously will at some point decide they are worthy of a beautiful bike, you sound like you are trying to convince yourself that you are.

go on Ed, you're worth it.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:28 am 
eBay Outing Master

Not strictly retro or full custom but when I needed a heavy weight tourer I approached thorn and the ability to find a bike that would after a long ride not make me hate it, was money well spent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:46 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I have had a number of frames custom built for me over the years, including a few by some very well-known boutique builders. I have come to the following conclusions about the topic:

- a custom geometry is only worthwhile if it works well. I have seen many a custom geometry frame that may fit the rider on paper, but is thoroughly unrideable in practice. So don't go to a framebuilder who doesn't have a good understanding of geometry. A proven geometry requiring minimal modifications of the rider contact points is far better than an unproven geometry which gets the rider contact points right.

- A custom frame does not simply involve modification of tube lengths. It should also foresee an appropriate selection of the tubing (weight, diameter... etc), fork (rake and trail) and wheelbase as required by the individual rider. If the "custom" framebuilder does not take your weight and riding style into account, you are not getting a real "custom" frame.

- A custom frame should fulfill all your aesthetic priorities and desired braze-ons and accessories.

Having said all of the above, one should also take price and delivery timing into consideration. Indeed, you can often find a custom framebuilder who will build you a custom frame for less than many much more mundane frames, or industrially-produced frame that carry a fancy name.

I recently arranged for a friend to have a custom frame built for him by Daniele Marnati in Milan. When Daniele came up with the proposed geometry, my friend was totally convinced that the frame was the wrong size for him. He nonetheless put his faith in Daniele and me and took delivery of the bike. It is now by far his favourite bike...