Why go custom?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm pretty sure that I've asked this question a number of ways in the past but wondering why people go custom unless they have unusually short/long limbs, reduced flexibility or very particular requirements? And once down the custom road, how on earth do you decide what you want - as a Libran I'd be forever changing my mind!

As ever, supporting photographic evidence helps.

I'm just fettling one of my custom builds by fitting a new longer gear. Freakish limb geometry was my reason. I think perhaps now I would
pay to get fitted properly off the peg first. The sort of service someone like Cadence Sport can offer would give a better result than a frame builder squinting at you. Having said that, the price I paid wasn't more than off the peg anyway so why not?

Good point about bike fitting above as otherwise how can you get a custom bike that suits? And I guess that even if it confirms current set up then that's a good thing.

Also proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder with that Demon - highly skilled craftmanship no doubt but I'd prefer simple and elegant every time.

Bottom line appears to be best summed up by Cheryl Cole though - "because I'm worth it".

exactly, i think everyone who is in to bikes seriously will at some point decide they are worthy of a beautiful bike, you sound like you are trying to convince yourself that you are.

go on Ed, you're worth it.

:LOL:

Not strictly retro or full custom but when I needed a heavy weight tourer I approached thorn and the ability to find a bike that would after a long ride not make me hate it, was money well spent.

I have had a number of frames custom built for me over the years, including a few by some very well-known boutique builders. I have come to the following conclusions about the topic:

- a custom geometry is only worthwhile if it works well. I have seen many a custom geometry frame that may fit the rider on paper, but is thoroughly unrideable in practice. So don't go to a framebuilder who doesn't have a good understanding of geometry. A proven geometry requiring minimal modifications of the rider contact points is far better than an unproven geometry which gets the rider contact points right.

- A custom frame does not simply involve modification of tube lengths. It should also foresee an appropriate selection of the tubing (weight, diameter... etc), fork (rake and trail) and wheelbase as required by the individual rider. If the "custom" framebuilder does not take your weight and riding style into account, you are not getting a real "custom" frame.

- A custom frame should fulfill all your aesthetic priorities and desired braze-ons and accessories.

Having said all of the above, one should also take price and delivery timing into consideration. Indeed, you can often find a custom framebuilder who will build you a custom frame for less than many much more mundane frames, or industrially-produced frame that carry a fancy name.

I recently arranged for a friend to have a custom frame built for him by Daniele Marnati in Milan. When Daniele came up with the proposed geometry, my friend was totally convinced that the frame was the wrong size for him. He nonetheless put his faith in Daniele and me and took delivery of the bike. It is now by far his favourite bike...

Back