Stan Pike frame dating?

Nicktid

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

Has anyone out there had success with dating Stan Pike frames from the SP frame number?
I have just acquired a Stan Pike time trial frame number, SP 10739.

It is also stamped with the name of the original buyer and his date of birth. Apparently this was a common practice with Stan Pike frames.

Apart from general interest; I would love to know the date it was made so I can build it with the correct period components.
My guess is that it is mid to late 70's?
It has the Stan Pike signature seat stay arrangement and unusually a novel mounting for the front brake with a threaded stud brazed into the fork crown to mount the caliper (Weinmann) onto rather than using a traditional brake mounting bolt.

Cheers,
Nick.

Attachments

• Stan Pike 1.png
    Stan Pike 1.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 815
34fejau.jpg

you mean like my Bob Jackson above? Fashion 1974-76 :)

Shaun

Hi Shaun,
Thanks for the reply.
I was not aware that this was a more generic idea.
If nothing else it might fit it within a definable period.
Nick.

Seen a few in my time in the 70's but it was quite rare. My rear brake is also brazed to the frame for Weinmann 500's :)

Post a few pics of the frame :)

Shaun

Hello Nick, I suppose you have asked Arthur?

I once brazed two 6mm nuts to the front of the fork crown to very much improve the Weinmann centre pull must have been late 50's.
Keith

Thanks for the picture.

I have the opposite problem to you.. I have a mystery frame whose serial number leads me to believe it is the 13th frame built in 1975, possibly by Stan Pike. It's not an SP serial number though.

The only Pike i've found on the web with a stated SP serial number is this one:http://bigtop-design.co.uk/blog/?p=2046 I assume these numbers are sequential.. If they are, that would mean that your frame predates that one.. by 7112 frames, if my maths is correct! That doesn't sound quite feasible, so maybe these SP numbers aren't sequential after all. Sorry I cannot be of more help! :(

Close up pics of lugs and fork crown and other details on your frame may help someone to date the frame more accurately, maybe not, but people love looking at that stuff, either way.. :)

I've just set up a website, with the help of Stan's son, for information about Stan Pike's bikes, history:

http://www.stanpikecycles.co.uk/

It's pretty basic at the moment, but hoping to add to it as more information becomes available. If anyone would like to add their frames/bikes to it - photos, frame numbers, information about purchasing etc etc , then I'd love to hear from you.

torqueless - the bike you linked to on the bigtop-design.co.uk blog is mine.

Nicktid - would be great to get your bike on the site if you have more photos etc.

James

Back