Raleigh Milk Race

Bona Kona

Dirt Disciple
HI all!
New to Retro bikes and love it!
Just bought a Milk race Raleigh, does any one have any info on bike?
Thanks

Bona Kona":2xponbb8 said:
HI all!
New to Retro bikes and love it!
Just bought a Milk race Raleigh, does any one have any info on bike?
Thanks
Fairly base line model. They released loads of different editions over the years over what were pretty much the same base model. (Eg Raleigh Banana)
My guess from blind is it will be steel 18:30 basic tubing with steel wheels and Sachs Huret Groupset. Possibly base level Weinmann brakes?

I used to have an old Raleigh Pursuit years ago as purely a training bike, pretty much the same model I would say. Tough as old boots and took some right abuse.

Semi horizontal dropouts I would thought...Ripe for a fixed project!

See here for full spec:

http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pics/ ... %20Library).pdf

They were a low range model so it didnt get a reynolds frame, but as said above the old raleighs are very tough. If its a 21" frame or smaller they are fairly light anyway.

The gears, brakes, wheels etc will be steel with chrome plated ((if still original), they will be heavy & prone to rust compared to alloy. You could replace these with retro or new alloy bits to make the bike lighter, smoother and easier on the eye. Dont go too mad on the spends though, i saw a 1988 mint Elan (top of the raleigh reynolds 501 range with shimano exage biopace groupset) on ebay for £70 BIN recently!

Well worth fitting a 7speed shimano screw on freewheel cassette, for more gears and it will transform the ride smoothness and gearchange. They are only £15.

See here for full spec:

http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pics/ ... %20Library).pdf

Copy & paste the above into your browser address field

They were a low range model so it didnt get a reynolds frame, but as said above the old raleighs are very tough. If its a 21" frame or smaller they are fairly light anyway.

The gears, brakes, wheels etc will be steel with chrome plated ((if still original), they will be heavy & prone to rust compared to alloy. You could replace these with retro or new alloy bits to make the bike lighter, smoother and easier on the eye. Dont go too mad on the spends though, i saw a 1988 mint Elan (top of the raleigh reynolds 501 range with shimano exage biopace groupset) on ebay for £70 BIN recently!

Well worth fitting a 7speed shimano screw on freewheel cassette, for more gears and it will transform the ride smoothness and gearchange. They are only £15.

milk race

thanks for info!
It is all orginal and in very good condition, but i am thinking of fixie?
Is that a good idea? :?

Depends on what you want to do I reckon. I personally love riding fixed and the look of the bikes. If you prefer gears just tidy it up and cruise around....

milk race

Thanks. I have decided to fixie the Raleigh, but keep all parts just in case.

Attachments

• IMG00543-20121114-1949.jpg
    IMG00543-20121114-1949.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 378
Back