Stubburn tyre fitting tips.

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've pinched to tubes now trying to fit some new tyres.
I don't usually have any issues although these particular tyres are pretty narrow.
Any fool :LOL: proof tips out there??

+1 for the var lever, excellent tool. I have one in the saddle pack and one in the tool box.

It has been used to save others with cold winter tyres on the roadside.

chase the tyre around the rim. It does not matter how tight the tyre is it will go one without levers.

Also push the bead with both thumbs(thumbs end to end) while the rest of your finger are rolling the tyre back. Withg that technique even ladies with small slender hands can get tyre like gatorskins on to rims. I know I have shown them how!

Try fitting a veloflex master to a hed disc ... Then you will find the value of the var lever.

Most combinations can be fitted by hand but for a tough combination of a small tyre and large rim the var lever does the job.

I've got some smaller tubes coming as i think the ones i had fitted were 25-32 and the new tyres are 23 :roll:
I've also ordered a VAR so here's hoping :D

The Var jack is nice, but the Kool Stop one gives you a hell of a lot more leverage.

TF-TL4022-1.jpg

I've got a VAR and it bends, so not as good as it could be in theory. The side that takes the leverage needs a spine to prevent bending. The one in the pic looks better.

Latest posts

Back