Sachs New Succes and Fir Aliseo for cyclocross?

drotos.toth

Old School Hero
I'd like to use Sach New Succes hubs and Fir Aliseo rims (16/24) for cyclocross racing.

Are the 16/24 spokes (DT 2.0) strong enough? And what about the hubs? Sealed well?

What do You think? What is Your opinion?

Thanks!

Hubs are superb and I'm sure they'll be upto the job in regarding to the rims and spoke count I couldn't honestly say but I'm thinking that you'll probably want more spokes.

I'm afraid of spokes, too... but I have these rims and hubs. Anyway, the 16 spokes make me nervous... but maybe I'm not right. :D

I would say the only watchout is if they are 8sp New Success threaded hubs. The way these were spaced and the location of the bearings caused some of these axles to break under pressure. This is symptomatic of a lot of early 130mm spaced Freewheel hubs.

I think Mavic was one of the only ones who thought it a good idea to place the bearings more outboard to relieve stress.

Perfect. Than I say you are good to go. They are really nice hubs. Those and the Mavic 500 series are my favorite.

In fact, I remember reading a blog article about last year's Roubaix. One of the support vehicles had a set of wheels with 500 series hubs on them.

I think now you are getting into a question of your weight. Definitely not the setup for someone on the heavier end.

I can't seem to find any info on the Fir rims you mentioned, what profile are they. A good combination with a low spoke count is a deep profile rim with double or triple butted spokes.

Also, because of the low spoke count, consider Alpine III triple butted spokes, they are pretty strong.

I'm 74kg (about 163 pound).

Pics of the rims:

main.php

main.php

I'm thinking about DT Champions... they are cost-effective, and strong, aren't they?

Latest posts

Back